close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chagrin River Smallie Question

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by caseyroo, Jul 5, 2007.

1. I fish the Chagrin quite a bit in the Summer for Smallies, and usually do well on inline spinners, and small plastics. However, the fish are usualyy in the 8"-10" range. I plan on trying tomorrow morning early using minnows. I am best to Carolina rig them, or drift them under a float?

2. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

That's what I'd do. You may also want to try live crawldad under bobber as well.

3. Do you know any baitshops in the area that carry crawdads?

4. BigMha

BigMha QQn 4 that "ONE" big fish

i believe most local bait shops carry them, shines on 55th does i think

5. The bait shop on the corner of erie road and lakeshore blvd in Eastlake has crayfish on his sign with the rest of his bait. I don't know if he has them in stock but you might want to try them. I thinks its called Lakeshore beverage. It's on the south side of lakeshore about a 1/2 mile from rt 91. Also if your fishing a deep hole or an eddie try a minnow with just a small split shot we use to catch a lot that way.

6. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

If you can't find crawfish, go with the leech!!!! They also hold up a bit better.

flash------------------------out

7. Hit the Chagrin this morning at about 7:00 A.M. for about 2 1/2 hours. Fished the deeper hole by the Mayfield road bridge in Gates Mills. I drifted minnows, but with very little flow, this wasn;t very productive. However, I did get a channel cat that weighed about 4-5 pounds. Did manage 1 10" smallie on a rooster tail. I have nver fished this area in the Summer, but have been wanting to try it after the surprise I had in January. I was fishing steelhead, drifting minnows, and hooked 3 smallies in 3 consecutive drifts. All three were over 4lbs, and were by the far the biggest river smallies I ever got. Unfortunately nothing like that today.

8. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

The chagrin has been slow for me this summer also