chagrin 11/14

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by ryosapien, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

spent some time on the river today. 9:30-2p. Went to gates mills and the water was hard to read so i left empty handed and headed north. I wound up in willoughby hooked 5 landed 1. I just couldn't seem to get a good hook set. None broke off all of the lost were probably ripped out or spit out. The water had good flow but was stained a little too much for my taste. Didn't see anyone else catch any. my usual spots didn't produce but found a new spot gotta love it. overall a pretty slow day. high sticking all day my arm felt like it was ready to fall off.

2. Was at the Chagrin today as well near Gates Mills but was not as lucky as yesterday for some reason. The water seemed a bit more clear but nothing really worked for me.Had one good strike but couldnt hook it...

3. Must be those cheap hooks you're tying on! :p

I also fished the Chagrin today from about noon until dark and had my best day of the season so far (not that that's saying a whole lot:p). I fished the mid/lower stretch of the river. I thought the river wasn't quite stained enough...over 2.5' visibility when I started and it had cleared to a little over 3' by evening with only a slight greenish stain, but the flow was good and leaves were not too big of a problem. I'd guess that the water temp started in the low/mid 40's and climbed throughout the day to near 50. If the river doesn't get any rain overnite than it will be back to low and clear for 11/15. All of my fish were hooked on spawn sacs of every color but black (racist fish :confused:) with white, red, and yellow producing the most. I was alternating between cured and natural steelie eggs and the natural/uncured eggs only produced 1 more hookup than the cured. I also tried nymphs, streamers, soft plastic minnows, and jig and mags at times with no success. Everyone that I saw on the water seemed to had hooked into at least one and eggs or egg paterns was what was producing for them too. I was getting fish out of different types of water; right in the middle of a very fast narrow run, at the tail-out of that run, along the seam of that run, in the guts of runs with moderate depth and moderate current and along their seams and tailouts. The large majority of the fish were bright chrome and were very acrobatic and hard fighting.

John

4. nice report. high sticken is an art form, and my preferred way to fish for steelhead. many people, even some flyfisherman who dont highstick dont seem to understand or appreciate what it takes to do use tecnique.

jojopro, highsticken is a different game entirely. its very difficult to do when the water is high and cloudy.

5. What is Highsticken if I may ask !!!

6. I'd like to know too. Is it bouncing your fly along the bottom without using a float?

JB

7. I realize that fishing with a fly rod successfully encompasses many very specific and in some cases difficult techniques (high sticking, swinging, dead drifting, etc.). Though I do fish with flies at times on my centerpin I have never fished a fly rod, nor will I even pretend to know all about it. I'm just saying that the stretch of the Chagrin River that I was on yesterday was certainly not high, nor would I call it cloudy. As I mentioned, the water was quite clear, and the only hinderence to clarity was a very slight greenish stain (not cloudiness from mud). I would think that most steelhead anglers (bait or fly) would not prefer water any clearer than what I saw yesterday. IMO, the ideal steelhead water has 2'-3' of clear visibility with a a deep forrest green stain to the deeper holes.

John

8. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

LOL nice john but i haven't tied on them yet. using tiemco. I did however fish a little long with the same rig as i have gotten more careful about losing flies. I think the tips may have lost a little and cost me some fish. Also fishing from the right side of the stream i have a really hard time setting the hook to my reeling arm. I hate fishing this side actually.