Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Its fishing, not catching
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It all began Friday after work I punched out a little bit early to take the boat out to do some fishing. Why I left early I have no clue but I just felt the need to. I ran home as fast as I could and loaded up the boat and off I went. I put in around 4:00 pm at the same dock that I have millions of times ... and fished the same areas that have yielded fish in the past with no success. So I told my buddy "Lets try something different" and I cruised to a part of the lake that I have never fished before. I made a couple cast of my ole faithful powerbait worm to no avail. I said what the heck and decided to dig out some pig and jigs laying in my box that I never used (I may have fished with a pig and jig 10 times in my life no joke). Started casting, first cast had a nice hit but no dice on the hook set. So I threw back in the hole over and over again and eventually smack. The drag went a zinging and the fish went a flying. (Now I live on the Darby so I catch a couple 19 to 20 inch smallies a year biggest roughly 4 1/2 I don't take the scale to the creek). I figured it was another solid 18 to 20 inch smallie a good fish but nothing to big. So I fight and wrestle her to the boat and whip the net down and scooped her and as soon as I set eyes on her folded up in my next like a Chipotle Burrito. I thought "Oh God what have a done?" I knew she was a monster, long and thick like no other Central Ohio smallmouth that I have ever seen before. I sat there shaking as I pulled out the tape and it kept getting longer and longer ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... and finally it stopped. At this point shaking profusely as I pulled out my scale and put her on it as it read 6.27 lbs (really nice and accurate scale). In shock I sat there looking at her and then back at the scale over and over ... When I caught my thoughts, emotions, ect. I Took all of the measurement to get a replica and the final tally was a staggering 23 1/16 inches and 6.27 lbs after double and triple checking. I measured her girth with a few other places in hopes to get it looking as real as the fish I caught for the replica. Shot off a billion pictures on my buddys good camera and released her back to swim. Here is one of the pics from my crappy camera phone of her, I am very very excited! I will have more pics once my buddy uploads the pics from his camera to my computer. Thanks for listening to my story of the smallmouth that will forever hang over the fireplace in my living room!!!

Attachments

·
Its fishing, not catching
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here she is next to my buddys PB at 20 1/2 inches 4. 14(6) lbs. Just a close up like I said i will have more pictures as he uploads them to my computer! But what a pig I cant stop looking at her picture!!!

Attachments

·
Fish On!
411 Posts
Wow. Nice catch and great story.

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Biggun'.
So how do you like the jignpig setup now?
I was fishing with a guy the other day who said, "I always figured that more as a largemouth setup." I don't think I convinced him, but this fish should convince anyone that it is a very viable smallie lure (if that is what he was using), especially in the summer when they are chasing crawdads.

Great fish!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts