Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
You can try fishing the spillway at griggs or o'shay. Both produce good numbers of fish. Swimbaits and jerkbaits will work. Just be prepared to be fishing next to other people cuz both places can be crowded this time of year.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,258 Posts
Nearly the entire north end of Buckeye Lake can be fished from the bank. Get out there and cast, if not catching or getting bites move down and try some more, repeat! If you keep at it, you'll find some spots that produce consistently.

When you see reports from guys that are catching saugeye. That's what they did! Nobody told them, go to this spot and you will catch them!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If your going to fish the spillways of Griggs or Oshay, be prepared to lose a lot of lures, those spillways are spiderwebs of discarded braid and monofilament. Over the years I have probably collected and properly disposed of a country mile of line snagged and reeled in. They work , but I almost never fish sticks or blades directly in the spillway unless I am really careful, just to many snags, and at $7-$8 a pop for a smithwick a trip to Griggs can be really expensive. Instead if I fish the spill ways I focus on cheaper jig fishing. Personally now a days I prefer fishing away from the spillways, generally less pressure , and I can get away with using stick baits more.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,858 Posts
If your going to fish the spillways of Griggs or Oshay, be prepared to lose a lot of lures, those spillways are spiderwebs of discarded braid and monofilament. Over the years I have probably collected and properly disposed of a country mile of line snagged and reeled in. They work , but I almost never fish sticks or blades directly in the spillway unless I am really careful, just to many snags, and at $7-$8 a pop for a smithwick a trip to Griggs can be really expensive. Instead if I fish the spill ways I focus on cheaper jig fishing. Personally now a days I prefer fishing away from the spillways, generally less pressure , and I can get away with using stick baits more.
I feel you on that! I lose lures at pymatuning from those that throw their lure right on bottom and sit it there. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to break off their line, pull it in as well or bend my hook. Other times I yank until my line breaks. Switching to a palomar knot this summer has allowed me to pull a few of my lures back in. Once I better my lure and yanked it in. Made a mess of my net, but kept my lure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i’ve tried at both once before and always got snagged, i assumed it was just rocks. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
If you would reeeeeealy like to catch Saugeye this time of year, read this!

If you want to catch Saugeye anytime read this…

Honestly, as others have said, get out there and throw stuff at ‘em. If you read the above threads, hit your spot you surmised from the above threads from before dusk to sometime after dark you will catch a saugeye. (Using techniques described in the thread).
For me, the best thing about fishing is putting the puzzle together myself or with a buddy. It’s ok catching on a charter or in desperation finding a crowd, but the reward is far greater when You ( i ) make it happen. IMHO
Fish are at your spot now…

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Control of your lure you have to master. You know the rocks are there, why do you let your lure sink into them. maybe the jig is too heavy, or your jerkbait your snapping it to hard sending it deeper into rocks. Try lesser weight, try easing on the jerk...
Inevitable your going to snag in the spillways. But try using control when reeling the lure back in for minimal loss. You'll see your bag increase as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts