Central Ohio Reservoir Saugeye

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by shroomhunter, Dec 22, 2007.

1. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Went out last night and caught 3 saugeye. All fish were caught within about 45 mins. All were caught on a minnie like Bozo colored lure about half a foot long:D

I'll narrow down the location....Within 1/2 hr drive of Pataskala fishing from the shoreline near some rocks. They were CRUSHING the bait hard.

If I get time I'll upload a photo, they're buried in ice right now. NO I did not practice catch and release...I'm going to eat them!!!

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you didn't feel like cleaning them at the late hour,you could have run up 79 and dropped them off.i would have gladly cleaned them for you and also let you know how they tasted:p:D

3. Great job mushroom was able to get some last night as well. Great night to be out. Just got done cleaning mine ready to fry!:) Minnow type lures got mine. Rick you are such a niec guy always ready to help a guy out!!;)

4. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

heading out in a few hours to a similar location. hopefully I'll have as much success!

will report back.

5. shroomhunter

Thanks guys and especially to you Rick, I'll remember that next time at 1 am when I have fish to clean!! Sorry not gonna get pictures I've put the camera somewhere so I could easily find it next time I want to use it...if I could only remember where that was.....Good Luck to all that get out there tonight, I'm going to a Christmas party so I'm giving the fish the night off!

6. Hmm havent tried it this yr but buckeye produced last yr for the 1 hr before or during sunset last yr.

7. Mushroom fish were still hungry. After dark at Alum spillway tonight,just clowning around.;) [​IMG]

8. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

was slow for me! no fish. didn't see anyone catch anything either.

9. shroomhunter

Nighttime is the righttime....I catch them during daylight hours but it's a different game.

Nice catch 'Slim, that hog had to be a blast!!

10. Juan More Fish

Juan More Fish AKA Dnavarroj

Went to oshan, about 6:00am, nothing.:(
    Then went to Alum same result. nothing.
    Whats good to catch a saugeye? i just wanna catch 1. For petes sake.:confused:

11. shroomhunter

A minnie like Bozo colored hardbait! Which translates into a Clown Husky Jerk or Suspending Smithwick Rogue. Give it a few cranks to get it down then let it sit still. Twitch it or pull it a few feet, watch your line and pay attention for anything that feels different. Immediately set the hook if you feel something odd, it's probably a fish. You can also throw a jig and twister if you're more comfortable with that and same thing if you feel weight or something that feels like weeds set the hook. It just takes patience, they'll bite.

12. sometimes I feel like a bozo out there......at a central Ohio reservoir.....fishing out of my non specific boat....or near a unspecified structure on said un-named waters!! Freezing my specific you-know-what off! LOL

Jeff you fishing any evenings this week?

13. shroomhunter

Drove to Buckeye last night and there was skim ice everywhere, nowhere to fish. I tried Fairfield, Liebs and Northshore and all were iced over. so I went to Alum and it was open but nothing for me except frozen line guides and fingers. Butter luck next time.:D