Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Central Ohio Electrical Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crankus_maximus, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. crankus_maximus

    crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

    I need to upgrade the service in my house from 100amp to 200amp. I have already upgraded the breaker box and various other wiring projects in the house. Now I need to install the thicker cable from the breaker box to the mast on the corner of the house. I have all of the materials (I think) and my father-in-law is going to complete the work.

    Since we are completing the work and I'm not paying a locally licensed contractor I think I have to have the power disconnected from the mast by AEP. AEP is telling me I have to get it inspected by city of Hilliard before they reconnect it. I called the city of Hilliard and they said that was hooey. They never heard of that before.

    Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I need some suggestions.

    They are putting the vynel siding on the house right now and the feed is lose from the wall, so I figured now would be a good time to do this. I got a quote of 350 for the labor and they said they could do it "hot."

    Thanks guys!
  2. Lewzer

    Lewzer Powderfinger

    We did that on our house a few years ago. Called Ohio Edison/First Energy and the lazy Customer Service Rep:( told me they don't do disconnections and reconnections.
    I was getting conflicting stories from the city who told me to call Ohio Edison and Ohio Edison said they don't do that.
    Fine, we did it ourselves. We removed and replaced the meter and the line coming into the house while it was hot.
    The only thing we didn't have was the pieces of lead the power company uses to crimp their line to mine. I also didn't have the security tag on the meter for 8 months till they noticed it was gone and they knocked on the door and told me not to do that again.:p

    I recommend when you get the runaround from the electric company and the city is to ask for the name of the person you are speaking to before you pose your question. When they give you the line of BS ask for their supervisor. Keep going up the chain till you get someone who knows what they are talking about. This is usually difficult as the higher in the chain you go, the less they know.
    I just said the hell with you all and did it myself.

  3. Lewzer

    Lewzer Powderfinger

    I forgot to say if you do the electrical work yourself, you do not have to get a building permit, thus no inspection required.

    At least in my town.
  4. crankus_maximus

    crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

    Thanks Lewzer. I haven't spoken to my FIL yet, but he has been doing electrical work for sttel mills for over 20 years. My feeling is that he'll do it hot and we won't deal with the bs, but I already filed a work order with AEP to disconnect and reconnect. What a pain in the buttoosky.
  5. there ain't gonna be no fried Crankus on a ladder is there???? ;)

    Be Careful
  6. crankus_maximus

    crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

    Ha-ha. I sure hope not. I will be careful. I'm not looking forward to this - at all.
  7. DavidWS10

    DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

    I've done a couple of service changes hot, and it is not something I enjoy doing. If you can get an outage from the power company, do it. Makes the job easier and a lot safer.
  8. misfit

    misfit MOD SQUAD

    crankus,if you're upgrading fromm 100 to 200,i think you'll need to change the meter and box least that used to be the case,as they're rated just like the the wire and electric panel,for amperage.the power company should provide them at no cost.depending on the size wire from the pole to your mast,the power company may have to run a new drop also.personally,i'd check into that if i were doing a change.
  9. usually a home owner has to pull a home owner's permit.

    the wire size from the aep wire to the meter needs to be larger when converting from 100 to 200, and so does the meter. the wire from the meter to the new box needs upsized to.

    i am an electrical contractor in you area. if you want to call send me a pm and i'll be happy to talk to u about it.