close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Central Ohio Crappie

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by twistertail, May 10, 2004.

1. Is it just me or is the crappie fishing around central Ohio getting better and better each year? Seems like people are catching lots of 13 and 14 inchers around here. I know that Deer Creek has gotton better and better since about 3 or 4 years ago when they put a 9" size limit on them. Last year and this year have been amazing for both size and numbers. Seems like there are more post than before about big crappies from other central Ohio lakes also.

2. CreekFloater

CreekFloater Have Water, Will Fish

Hey Twistertail! Do you know how frustrating it is to hear that right after I just got back from the famous crappie capital of Lake Barkely with hardly anything to show for it except a lot of miles under my butt for one weekend. Actually, it tickles me anytime any of our local fisheries seem to be improving. That way, others and myself won't have to try to go elsewhere for what we should be able to get right here. Just think, I went 800 miles and they are catching them literally a few miles from my door. Oh well, the scenery was nice!

3. I have heard great things about crappie fish at Barkley. My neighbor moved down there last year, just about 20 miles from the lake, and he says there are tons of places to catch big crappie. He said 12 and 13 inchers are the norm and 15 inchers and even bigger are not unusual. Barkley is supposed to be good for strippers also.
    I dont know much about fishing the lake at Deer Creek but i have been getting them up in the creek and average size is around 10". I know thats nothing campared to what they get down south but i remember just a few years ago almost all the crappie i got from Deer Creek were 6 or 7 inchers.

4. CreekFloater

CreekFloater Have Water, Will Fish

Well, we have been talking about getting together, maybe we should go try out those crappies in the lake. I am usually just a basser, but I give anything an effort. We could even do that one evening after work if you want. CF

5. I'm up for it. I'm pretty busy with stuff around the house this week but I could go a day next week, just pick the day. I get off work at 5:00 and can make it to Deer Creek in about 35 or 40 minutes.