Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here...I have more time to fish after dark than before.

I know the early/late season night bite fishery but what about the offshore mid-summer fishery at night? Is this a viable option? Anyone have experience to share? Thanks for any pointers.

·
Fish against the fish...
1,110 Posts
Give Marty a call next time you are heading out at night -- you can either come out with us -- or we'll meet up out there. We go after work and troll until sundown and have had some good results. Heck - you live so close we could carpool too.

You should have his number form the trolling bag deal. If not - shoot me a PM and I will give it to you if you're interested.

Also - fishcrazy has an entry on his website on trolling at night if you haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would not be in rush to fish offshore. I have done well at night near shore in the middle of summer. Not as consistent as when the best spring or fall bite but not a waste of time by any means. In fact, IMHO, before the 2003 influx of fish (when fishing was not as good as now) night fishing in the summer was better than the day time.

I do not know how far back in time posts go on this page but there were a few reports about summer night fishing several years ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
We night troll quite often out of Mentor Lagoons. Its great just being out there after dark. I was out Sunday till about 10:30, we got 2 at once and a third rod hit as soon as we landed the first. We managed 5 nice eyes in 50 FOW when everybody was working 72-75 FOW in the afternoon. I have a light pole I mount up high with 2 low voltage (12v) landscaping flood lights that I aim at the rod tips and boards. I also use a headlamp when I'm on the landing net.
On nights with a full or near full moon its unbelievable how bright it is out there. We have found that they definitely slow down around midnight. We were one fish short of a 3 man ticket at midnight once and we continued our trolling till 2:30 and just could not pick up the last fish.

·
Registered
266 Posts
We use spoons and harnesses. I only used stick baits on one line one night and it produced nothing. Not really a fair try, I'm sure we'll try it again though. I wouldn't say they were up high but they seem to be in closer to shore than during the day. We just watch for them on the fish finder and set baits accordingly, same program as daylight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts