close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CENTER PIN suggestions.

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by zachtrouter, Nov 25, 2008.

1. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

I would really like to get a centerpin for x-mas this year from the gf. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a first time pin user. What brand and about how much it will cost. I love the noodle but when I see a guy using a centerpin it just looks like the way to go. Not that I will ever give up using the noodle I just want to try something different. While looking at some combos I also noticed that all the rods are around 13'6". Thats long as hell isnt it?

2. Zach, check with Craig at Erie Outfitters. He knows more about pins than anyone. He won't steer you in the wrong direction.

3. Not all the rods are that long!..lol...

4. I searched all over for a reel and decided on a okuma sheffield. The cheapest price i could find was $174 if i remember right at gander mt. in Pa.

5. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

ZT, the longer rods will help you to keep the line running directly from the tip to the float. This is what contributes to pins being so deadly.....the perfect trot, which keeps the bait right in the zone for a longer period of time.

I am about to upgrade my Okuma to either a Purist or a Bob James. Definately check out Craig's place (Erie Outfitters) for pin setups. You can even give him a buzz for some info on a good starter reel.

6. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

I saw the deadliness of the pin at the rock and I was very impressed. No line on the water during the drift was definetly what I noticed first. It also looked very easy to cast. I figured the rod length varied like a noodle but every combo I have seen comes with a 13'6" rod. I guess I got to fish that bootlegged rocky river again then head to erie outfitters!;) Thanks

7. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I just got into centerpinning this year. I found myself in the same position as you. Not knowing what to buy that wasn't going to break the budget. I decided on a 13'6" Okuma Guide Select rod, and the Okuma Sheffield centerpin reel.

I purchased my reel used and the rod new.

I have $250 invested and it was the best investment. I truly enjoy casting the c-pin, and it is a deadly method of taking fish in the river.

Not only can you use this for steelhead, but you can also take it with you for your spring and summer fishing on the river. Both Carp, Catfish, Pike, and Bass are also species that are able to be taken on the pin.

Casting of the pin may look easy, but in the beginning it took me several weeks in the back yard practicing with a heavy float tied to the line, and casting it out.

If you stick with it, and get through the difficult times of learning to cast the pin, then once your proficient with the pin, you may find it to be the most enjoyable times you have on the river.

-KSU

8. The Tuna

The Tuna Banned

I can tell you that every guy I know that has a 13' St Croix Wild River is very satisfied with it. I'm about to acquire one myself

9. The best entry level reel is the Raven SST or the Okuma Sheffield - both are reasonable priced. You can also check the classified on Steelheadsite or Ebay as several people I know have sold reels there.

10. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

I have fished with several pinners. I have used some really nice reels but I love my sheffield more then any other pin I have used. Dont get an expensive one. You could always sell it if you dont like it. They have a great re-sale value.