Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Safety is always first !!!!!!!!
I seem to lose my signal (sprint) in certain areas and the farther I get out,
I fish mostly between vermillion and wildwood and up to 11 miles out. I always go with a fully charged cell battery. Just in case of radio, battery and motor problems, it be good to know I could rely on me cell. I do have towing coverage, but if your radio is dead and your cell doesn't get a signal, your pretty much a mrdrifter, aimlessly!
Does this happen to most everyone, open to switching carriers possibly.
Thanks again for replies and comments! Be safe, have fun and catch on!

·
Tom B.
3,888 Posts
Had same trouble w/ Sprint and Verizon. Have At&T(formerly Cingular) now. Haven't needed to go out more than 7 miles last three years. Always works that far out.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
try adding an external marine cell antennae, preferably 8'.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Safety is always first !!!!!!!!
I seem to lose my signal (sprint) in certain areas and the farther I get out,
I fish mostly between vermillion and wildwood and up to 11 miles out. I always go with a fully charged cell battery. Just in case of radio, battery and motor problems, it be good to know I could rely on me cell. I do have towing coverage, but if your radio is dead and your cell doesn't get a signal, your pretty much a mrdrifter, aimlessly!
Does this happen to most everyone, open to switching carriers possibly.
Thanks again for replies and comments! Be safe, have fun and catch on!
It is not your carrier. I haven't seen many cell towers out beyond 5 miles in the lake. I have verizon and lose signal after about 7 miles out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was on a cruise boat about 10 miles out in the Kewanaeu in Michigans U.P.and had a full set of bars. Yet in Oregon Ohio I drop calls and Cooley Canal is about a half dead zone. I sometimes can make calls past West Sister but usually end up dropping them. I'd like to hear more on these cell anteneas and how well they work.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
i like the "digital" brand of antennaes. I have their vhf antenna on my boat and it gets out and receives strongly. I had one on roof of houseboat down in KY and improved my cell reception dramatically with no booster.
http://www.boemarine.com/Products/567-CB/Default.aspx
you will need the proper adapter to hook it up to your phone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts