Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went every day this week,catching walleye,tons of white bass,largemouth bass,sheepheads and a few crappies,they are taking almost any live bait you throw out,i have been fishing from my small canoe/boat,if you want any info on the spots i might be persuaded to share them :)

·
Live to Catfish!!
16 Posts
I am glad they are biting for you. I have been there quite a few times, only to catch small white bass and the occasional saugeye. I hope to be there sunday and have some luck. Good luck to you as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
rking0204,

What kind of size were you getting on those saugeye last week? Just wondering, I have not spent much time in the south pool this year.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi larry.A few small ones and only a couple keepers,I havent fished the upper pools or north pool ,Im sort of new to the fishing from a boat thing since i just got one and its very small so rather than have the pleasure boaters swamp me i stick to the low speed area in the back cove and deep holes around the dam area.I did however catch every one of them on live bait instead of artificial i tried both.Is the saugeye fishing better up north on the lake?

·
Registered
233 Posts
rking, in typical years I catch fewer seyes in the south pool, but larger ones vs. the numbers of smaller ones in the north pool. However, this year is anything but typical. water temps in the 70's for the entire month of July.....the seyes have been all over the board. Here today, gone tomorrow.

If you have a smaller boat, I would agree that it is a good call staying in the no wake areas, especially if those areas are producing fish for you.

I have not been on the lake for about two weeks now. My big motor went down while on Erie. I's at the dealer now, hopefully I will hear something this week......?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do venture out a little tried to on sat but there was so many boats it was crazy,I am learning as i go and just sticking to the basics since i dont have a depth/fish finder,but being old school is fun sometimes.Hopefully some stuff will start biting again once this heat clears up a bit,right now if you know the lake well the cove closest to the wellman boat dock,i call it the back cove before you turn the corner there is a point with a bent cedar tree,the largemouth are hanging there in numbers at least the last few days,they are picky about the artifical baits but taking minnows and worms.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with larryfish the south pool produces much larger saugeyes than the north pool. I have taken several 20 to 24 inchers from the south pool this year. Last fall in October it was very good for big eyes and big crappie. I have not fished the last 2 weeks or so I don't like the heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts