Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im newish to the conceal carry game (got mine last january). I know you can carry in places that sell alcohol as long as u arent consuming or already intoxicated. My question is what about the old signs that state something to the effect of "carrying a gun in this liquor establishment is a felony...."? Those are old signs posted before the law was changed a yr or 2 ago correct? Does one of those signs make it a prohibited carry zone? I can carry at walmart and they sell liquor/beer but the local kroger has an old sign in the corner of one of the front windows. Any link with info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would need to see what the sign looks like. The only change to the law that you're referring to was carrying in a place that has a license to sell alcohol for consumption on premises.

This is the standard sign:
If what you're seeing is different, look closely and see if there's a reference to the ORC. For the time being, I would refrain from carrying in that store.

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Those signs are in reference to people who do not have a valid CCW. If they do not have a sign saying We Ban Guns or something of that nature you are fine. I believe this is the sign you are referring too. If it isn't my comments wrong.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, if that's the sign then you should be legal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. I actually have little business cards that my boss at work gave me to hand out to businesses i come across with signs in the window. I think its a great idea to make ppl aware just what that sign is doing, which is keeping out law abiding citizens with a desire to protect themselves if the need arises. Thugs and gangbangers are still going to roll in your business with that hi point 9mm tucked in the waistband with who knows what for intentions. Me? ill go somewhere that appreciates and acknowledges my rights.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
BigV
1,135 Posts
Those signs are in reference to people who do not have a valid CCW. If they do not have a sign saying We Ban Guns or something of that nature you are fine. I believe this is the sign you are referring too. If it isn't my comments wrong.

These signs are required posting by Federal Law for any establishment that sells alcohol. It does NOT forbid law abiding citizens from exercising their 2nd amendment rights while in the establishment.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would need to see what the sign looks like. The only change to the law that you're referring to was carrying in a place that has a license to sell alcohol for consumption on premises.

This is the standard sign:
If what you're seeing is different, look closely and see if there's a reference to the ORC. For the time being, I would refrain from carrying in that store.
Is it legal to carry in an establishment with this sign? The small print says unless otherwise authorized by law.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Is it legal to carry in an establishment with this sign? The small print says unless otherwise authorized by law.
Unless otherwise authorized by law, means law enforcement/government entities. Your concealed carry permit doesn't satisfy that requirement.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
No it isn't and carries a misdemeanor 4 penalty if caught and arrested. The Ohio Revised Code gives business owners the option of posting a sign like this if they don't want CCW on their premises. If arrested the likely charge is ORC 2911.21 (A, 4) http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:

(4) Being on the land or premises of another, negligently fail or refuse to leave upon being notified by signage posted in a conspicuous place or otherwise being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either.

and ORC 2923.126 (c, 3, a): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126v1

(3)

(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Yes it is and carries a misdemeanor 4 penalty if caught and arrested. The Ohio Revised Code gives business owners the option of posting a sign like this if they don't want CCW on their premises. If arrested the likely charge is ORC 2911.21 (A, 4) http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:

(4) Being on the land or premises of another, negligently fail or refuse to leave upon being notified by signage posted in a conspicuous place or otherwise being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either.

and ORC 2923.126 (c, 3, a): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126v1

(3)

(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.
I think you meant "No, it isn't" ?

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,868 Posts
Unless otherwise authorized by law, means law enforcement/government entities. Your concealed carry permit doesn't satisfy that requirement.
Huntinbull is 100% correct, its been like this for years, don't fool yourselfs and think its ok.

if I see a sign saying no weapons, I don't enter. ive even stopped shopping at one of my favorite army navy stores years ago that ive spent 1000's of dollars in because the owner posted a sign in the window. I even tried to explain to him how hes lost my business and the benefits of legally armed customers. he told me outright he doesn't care anymore, hes tired of gun violence... I told him hes misinformed and left the store.. too bad to because ive shopped that store since the 80's and really like going in there..

·
BigV
1,135 Posts
This sign is REQUIRED (as stated above) for any and all establishments that sell alcohol regardless if the alcohol is consumed on premises (bar/restaurant), or to go (supermarket, drive through). It must be posted in a conspicuous location. It does NOT prevent CC Licensed individuals from entering said location while armed.
You don"t need to take my work for it... Educate yourself and read the Ohio Revised Code.
If it did, no armed CCW Licensee could enter ANY restaurant, ANY bar, or ANY grocery store that sold alcohol as these signs are required posting under ORC 4303.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts