CC Today

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by clemm, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Went to CC today and caught 5 keepers - Crappie between the three of us!! The water is still muddy and was a slow fishing day!! Eric caught the :B 12 inch black crappie, which was the highlight of the morning!

Attached Files:

2. Couple nice lookin keepers. What was ya using for bait?

3. What the heck??? There were 3 of us in the boat and you didn't post my catch??? :) :)

4. Is this Ceasar Creek your reporting on? Just curious, because a buddy of mine caught some crappie off the break last weekend. He stated the crappie are a little behind in the spawn there. Due to water taking longer to warm up with it's depths.

5. dont want to step on any toes but those are not black crappie.those are male white crappie getting ready to spawn or build the nests for the females.during the spawn the males get all stressed iout and ready to fertilize the eggs the turn black.If you notice the top fin on all the crappie are all the same.A tru black crappie top fin is a little larger than a white crappies.i have caught thousands of crappie from ceasars creek and never caught a true black crappie from there.If you are catching black crappie in the middle of july then it`s more apt that you are catching true blacks, but in the spring for the most part in the state of ohio you are catching whites.Once you go down south and catch a few down there you will never forget what one looks like.Once you research this and look at the true differences in the two you will be amazed....I was..

6. To me, the 12" one is a male black crappie for sure.

7. I've always heard the easiest way to tell them apart is the markings on their sides. The white crappie will have the black marking on its side arranged in a few verticle bars and the black crappie has his black arranged in a random manner forming no pattern at all.

I can clearly see the side bars on the white crappie in that picture.

8. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

I think you are mistaken. The larger of the 5 with random spots is a black crappie, the other 4 with the vertical bars are white crappie. CC has a mix of both species. In fact, last year I caught a black nose crappie...the one with a black stripe running from it's nose to the dorsal fin.

Attached Files:

9. from the front of the top fin to the eye back to the rear of the top fin on a white crappie will make an offset triangle.on a black crappie it will make a more uniform triangle.also count the rays in the top fin,white crappie have only 5 possibly six fins.blacks have around eight.Just do a web search on black white crappie comparisson and you wll see.that is a male white crappie.if i am wrong then i am wrong but for the fun of it i`ll bet ya.by the way you cannot distinguish the two when they are spawning except by the top fin........FACT

10. I personally think it's a Crappie, but then again thats just me, never the less, nice catch m8.

11. WalleyeJones

WalleyeJones Extra Long Member

Sorry brother, but your information is misguided. 4 whites, 1 black. Go to the ODNR or any other reputable site.

12. they all look the same in beer batter!

13. Bonz

Bonz

looks like a sammich to me!

14. 4 whites 1 black, fact.

15. bwhntr4168

bwhntr4168 always take a child

goose im with ya those are all whites!!!!

16. i am not trying to be a know it all just trying to educate fellow anglers on the myth of the elusive black crappie in the state of ohio.like i said i have caught 1000`s of crappie at CC and yet to catch a true black.Only in alabama have i ever caught a true black.That crappie in the picture only has 5-6 spines in the top fin therefore .....WHITE MALE FISH!!!!!! my father-law cleaned well over a 100 today from CC ....no true blacks only white males just like the ones in the pic.By the way the crappie at CC are biting very well in the coves on the west side of the lake and if you know CC very well you will know that there are limited coves on the west side so think real hard and you will know where i am talking about just put in on s.r.73 and you need to not go too far!!!!!!LOL

17. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

Common Names:
    Papermouth, SpecksScientific Name: Pomoxis nigromaculatusPublication 13(R999)Identification:Black crappie closely resemble white crap-pie, but have deeper bodies. Furthermore, their head, back and sides are mottled with dusky or black blotches. These blotches do not form vertical bands as on white crappie. The most reliable characteristic, however, is that black crappie have seven or eight dorsal spines.
    Range and Habitat:
    Black crappie are less widely distributed than white crappie in Ohio, but are generally found throughout the state including western Lake Erie. Generally, black crappie prefer clear wa-ter containing aquatic vegetation. They are less tolerant of silt and turbidity than white crappie

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/Pub 013.pdf

18. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

so let me get this right with all the facts and surveys and everything else that the odnr and other people do they have been wrong all this time. there are no black crappies in the state of ohio. dang them for lieing to us they should be ashamed.

19. chris1162

chris1162 team flatty

looking at the dorsal fin it looks more like a channel cat to me!

20. bwhntr4168

bwhntr4168 always take a child

prowler youve went to far its a fish and i promise its going to get eaten (lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.