close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CC Spillway

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TimJC, Jan 12, 2005.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Anyone know if the road to the spillway is open today? I'm thinking of trying to catch my first saugeye today. Anyone have any recomendations for lure/bait and presentation? I'm gonna go pick up jigs and white twisters in a few.

Outflow (6am) = 87cfs (this seems really low for CC)

CC at Wellman, OH data (anyone know how close this is to the CC spillway)
    - Gage height (10am) = 5.94ft
    - Temperature (10am) = 7c

This data is available here and here

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I usually do well with 2inch triple ripples in the pink/chartuse color and and 2 inch pink tubes fished about 2 foot under a bobber.

3. Hey Traphunter, do you ever tip the 2 inch tubes with minnows? I've heard that tipping jigs and twisters with minnows can sometimes help. I'm gonna have to down size my jigs and twisters, might be just a tad too big.

4. well i am new to this site i thought i would say hi to every one and i was woundering were is the best place to get a saugeye?

5. Welcome aboard Fishcatcher87, I think you'll like the site. Lots of helpful people and information. You can do a search for saugeye within the posts and you will get the threads that mention saugeye.
    For southwest Ohio, popular places mentioned are the spillways at Paint Creek, Rocky Fork, and Ceaser's Creek. Around central Ohio, popular spillways seem to be Deer Creek, Alum Creek, Hoover. Best of luck!

6. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

well I went out and fished the CC spillway from 4:45p to about 6p and I didn't catch anything. In fact, I didn't see anyone catch anything and there were probably 5 other anglers there. There wasn't much water coming out the chute but there is a stream that runs into the spillway (near the chute) that was moving a decent amount of water. The water level and clarity looked good down there, which is more than I can say for the lake itself.

I was using, as traphunter suggested, small pink twister on a 1/16oz jig head, under a bobber, and tipped with a dead waxworm. I was just casting the thing and letting the current take it down stream. Is this the most effective way or should I twitch it a bit? Also, where should I be looking for the fish?

7. catking

catking Banned

Make sure your baits are on the bottom, or at least very close. Saugeye are bottom fish ;) If the flow of the water is very low, the fishing will be very bad. There has to be some good current ;) CC spillway is excellent in the spring time , and try farther down stream in the mud flats for saugeye also. By the way, nice carp are found there also ;) ...... same as " 10.25 " :D

8. i plan on going to deer creek this summer i herd it has a good spot for saugeye is this true or not?

9. catking

catking Banned

I believe you heard correctly 'catcher87. I do know below the spillway is very good for the saugeyes. Good luck to you. By the way, Deer Creek spillway is one of the nicest in the state as far as access and upkeep.... CATKING

10. catking

catking Banned

Thank you for registering for membership on this site. The OGF team is glad to have you on board ;) .......... THE CATKING !!!

11. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I usually dont tip the jigs with minnows but it would probably work

tim, make sure you twitch the bobber every now and then to get that tail thumping.

12. I am not challenging Traphunter's technique here but I just want to understand it a bit more. I have never floated tubes after saugeyes so I was surprised to read that as a technique. I have used the technique for crappie and gills with good success though. Since saugeyes are such bottom huggers wouldn't working the jig slowly without a bobber put it in front of more fish? I saw where you caught good numbers of fish so it must work for you but I guess I always go with a slow jigging presentation without a float and try to follow the bottom contour.

13. I have used Traphunters technique and have seen others doing it. I do catch more w/o a float, but sometimes when I'm losing to many jigs to snags and getting frustrated I float a jig just above the rocks. I have picked up a few that way at CC and especially a couple years ago at Paint Creek.

14. I like traphunter's technique more when the water is really flowing. I find using the float actually helps keep the lure in the strike zone when the water is moving without getting snagged all the time (use enough weight to keep the lure straight under the float, you should snag on the bottom every once in a while to be sure you are deep enough). When fishing in water that's not moving fast I go without a bobber and hop the tube off the bottom (lose many lures but catch fish too). I've never found the spillway at CC to be all that great for saugeye, I think it's due to the nature of the dam more than the number of saugeye in the reservoir.

Steve

15. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Technique wise, I agree with alter. I talked to a fella the today that fished Deer Creek a couple times over the past week or so and did pretty well. He was using small white twisters, bouncing them off the bottom.

Danny

16. I guess I may have to toss a couple floats in the tackle box some time whenever I get a chance to make it out.

17. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I have NEVER, with one excellent exception, done well at a spillway. Despite hitting CC, Brookville, Acton, Cowan, East Fork, etc. I have just not caught anything worth a hoot at a spillway. CC is the worst- I haven't even caught fish further downstream from the dam- just nothing at all.

That being said, I did catch a bunch of small saugeyes and a 40 lb paddlefish at Deer Creek in '96. Still have the picture on the front of my price book here at work. A great and very unusual fish that always gets comments. It was a blast to catch and even better to watch her swim away.

I don't bother with the spillways too much anymore. Snags, garbage and inconsiderate fisherman make it too uninviting. Plus now I hear about thefts at the parking lots. It isn't worth it anymore.

Sorry to put a downer on a thread- I wish they did produce for me. I love fishing moving water.

UFM82

18. catking

catking Banned

# 1- Not putting a damper on the thread UFM82 . We all know that you couldn't catch a fish in the kiddy trough at the boat show , much less a fish in the wild , so this is not an issue :p ......... #2- I always had the thinking that spillways are for weekend fishermen. That is until I started to really study the ins and outs . Now I can say that # 1- " 10.25 " was a spillway fish " 1 " cast was a spillway fish........ I also have caught probably 100's of smallies from these areas , at a time of year that most are watching Oprah, including UFM . But I also found that most are not willing to fish these areas when they are the best which is in the dead of night, or at the very least 4 am - 9 am . But I also agree with UFM ( :eek: ) about alot of these fishermen are slobs when it comes to trash, and have ZERO fishing manners. That's the reason for NIGHT fishing and dead of winter fishing ;) .......................By the way, my largst smallie of all times came from a spillway.And spillway fishing doesn't mean you always fish below the tube. One who hikes down stream a mile or so can have some great days.....Hows that Craig........... :p .......... :D ........... DA KING !!!

19. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I rarely ever fish for saugeyes with jigs without using a bobber. I have tried jigs (tubes, twistertails) without a bobber and I just dont seem to catch near as many fish, plus I get snagged alot more. I think most fish prefer to come up and eat a bait rather then go down to eat the bait. Thats just my opionion. Try it next time your out and you might be suprized. Good luck:)

20. Traphunter,

The flows should be getting fishable here soon at some of these reservoirs. Perhaps if I can find the time to get to one I will be able to try out the technique.