Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if anyone has been catching saugeye at CC this year? My son and I have caught a few small ones 10-11" in the north pool. About this time last year there were a few post reporting some eye action. I would love to hear if you have had any luck. Just gotta be some bigger ones in there some place...
:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have caught tons of them down there some up to 24 inches. I get most of mine trolling crank baits. However this time of year they are shallow and I get them on Jigs with twister tails and some times I tip them with a live bass minnow. I work the shore line almos like bass fishing. You get a lot of snags and loose a lot of jigs but you have to go where they are.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Wally Diver. Do you know what part of the lake I might try casting for them? I plan on spending all day Friday catching Eyes. What part of the lake do you troll for them? I drug a few crank baits around last year on the north side of the island by the camp ground. Never had any luck.

later

·
Registered
412 Posts
THe old road bed in the north pool is good and all the points produce fish. Also there are a couple of humps in the north pool that hold fish. I'll be there this weekend Sat. and Sun. I'll be in a Sweetwater Pontoon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wally, we fished the north pool till 10:00 last night. Caught about 12 saugeye total. Most were small under 12" and 2- 14" fish. I tried shallow for the first hour or so with no luck. All fish were caught in 15 to 20' of water on twisters and bass minnows. Let me know how you did today??

See ya,
Chet

·
Registered
412 Posts
I caught 13 Saugeye's, 1 Crappie, 2 yellow perch, 6 big bluegills, and a monster Flathead catfish. We tried trolling for saugeyes with out much luck also tried the minnow and Jig. We caught the larger saugeyes drifting with night crawlers in water 5 to 12 foot. We caught one of the perch trolling and thought we would try for them so we started drifting with minnows and crawlers. We only got one more perch but we started catching saugeyes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I always catch a few early and late in the season when the water is cool. Biggest one was maybe 10". Usually get them drifting for they saugeyes with minnows/jigs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The two we caught last weekend were about 10 inches but I have caught some bigger ones in there. My wife caught one a couple of years ago over 13 inches she got it while we were trolling Hot N Tots. I understand you can catch them in the big cove in the North Pool where all the boats anchor and boaters swim in the summer there are large weed beds all the way in the back where the grassy hill comes down to the water. From wht I hear you can get some along those weed beds. I'll be there again all weekend. Fishing for eyes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Monday night we caught several small saugeyes near the dam - all small, no keepers... I've seen a lot of them caught this year in the North pool. Lot's of guys seem to keep them even if they're small - but they're too small to keep in my opinion...they gotta be at least 16 inches before you could get a descent fillet off of them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts