CC Report - 8/14

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Salmonid, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Fished with my buddy from about 2-7pm, water was clear, 80 degrees with a slight nw wind. Fished several spots looking for crappies, no luck and several spots looking for saugeyes, no luck but did manage a few fish drifting minnows over humps. 2 spots, 2 drum, 1 white bass, 1 long ear sunfish and 1 small LM bass. Bite was much better when the clouds were around, once the sun came out, bite died.

Oh and a big thanks to the jerk who for 3 hrs straight was tubing back and forth at full throttle about 10 feet past the no wake bouys at the Furnace Ramp, nice going idiot.....every boat coming or going got slammed at the docks.

Salmonid

2. Glad to see you managed to get a few fish landed. Thats a tough lake to fish in my opinion because of the boater you mentioned and like minded ones...no wake zones mean nothing!

3. What's a No Wake Zone????? What's a Stop Sign mean????? Tried to canoe fish CC one time, never again, not even with a boat. Had to stand up in my canoe with my paddle in the air so this moron could see me over the bow of his boat because it was obvious that he did not know how to trim out a boat at high speed, and this was during the week. The funny thing, this is during the morning with bright sun out. I figure in a week or two, the idiots will be off of the water, school will be back in. Plus it seems that CC is not the lake to fish during the summer anyway.

4. Don't even think about putting my boat on CC until the second or third week of Sept. Not worth the hassle nor frustration!!!

5. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Amen that!
    There are some really stupid and rude people at that lake. I was there a few weeks ago doing some night fishing up by the dam. Several boats were on plane. I couldn't believe it.
    Then we had a large boat repeatedly run within 100 feet of us, back and forth. I guess he wanted me to notice his boat?

Can't wait till next month and not see a lot of the idiots that are out there now.

CC has been the dead sea for me this year. I haven't done well at all. Has anyone else been doing any good?
    I will have to resort to Kroger's to get a fish.

6. congrats on pulling some fish out of there, I think in that one trip you pulled more fish than I have in multiple trips to CC this year:(

CC seems to have a higher concentration of idiots on the water than it does fish most days.

7. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Hey Jackfish, sad to say but glad to hear that I'm not the only one having problems catching fish.
    Have you or anyone noticed any zebra mussels there this year? Last year I saw them all over the place and I haven't seen one this year. Whats up with that?
    That lake was really clear over the last couple of years and this year it hasn't really cleared up at all.

8. Ive noticed the same thing, also not having any luck this year

9. when we were there, back in one of the coves, along the shore we did see a big batch of zebra muscles so they are still there at least to some degree.

Salmonid

10. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

with the water stirred up/dirty as it is, you'd think the mussels would be thriving and you'd see them all over.
    Oh well, hopefully this fall it will clear up a little and we can get back to catching some fish.

11. holy smokes, someone asking about zebra mussles! that was my 2 year undergrad project, which was a heck of a lot of years back... anway, the mussle populations have a cycle to them in most water ways. When intially introduced they can take a little while to establish a strong population, which then can explode, often times have the newer mussles killing the older mussles my latcing onto thier shells and being closer to the food source, outcompete them. I have seen this as many as 3 to 4 mussles deep, each of the previous layers dead. Believed to be due to availibilty of food, but at the time I was doing the research that was just a guess, the population will often experiance very heavy die offs, dropping to a minimum number then starting the cycle over again. This may be happening at CC, not sure.

12. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

..Jackfish, thanks for that little tidbit.

13. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Thanks Jackfish, good info

14. I've been finding a few zebra mussles when i fish submerged roadbeds. My crankbaits will dredge up that wiry moss that grows on the concrete and sometimes clumps of mussles. I also snagged a rock the other day due to the mussles on it.

CC isn't anything like it was three or so years ago with the mussles. That year EVERYTHING was covered in them. Stumps, rocks, trees, docks...absolutely everything. I've heard it theorized that whatever they thrive on just wasn't in enough abundance in CC to support that type of population.

I couldn't believe it after they dropped the lake to winter pool that year. You could see where the waterline had been simply because that's where the mussles ended. It was unreal.