close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CC Report 11-18-04

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lazy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Water temperature 54 when I arrived and 55 when I left the lake at about 1:30 pm. The water clarity 3 feet which is an improvement over what it has been on my last couple of outings.

Cast musky cranks and jerk baits on some of the flats and coves in the north pool. I lost one fish on a jerk bait. I only had a glimps of the fish but I would say it was a bass. Oh where, oh where are those musky.

2. catking

catking Banned

Hey lazy-I really enjoy reading your reports, as I'm sure alot of other members do also. I can't wait to click on the report that says you got the big one finally :) Looking forward to it. You WILL succeed.... DA KING !!! :)

3. Catking,

I hope to some day figure out how to occusionally catch these toothy critters so I can report on something besides the water temperature. :)

4. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I'm going to try it Saturday morning and post the temp. when I get back. :D :D :D

5. Skipjack,

Big B16 and I will be on the lake tomorrow also, if you see two guys beating the water into a foam, that will be us. :D

6. Since we’re all going after the musky tomorrow we need to figure out where they’re going be. We know the water temperature is in the low to mid 50’s, so where should we fish, the coves, downed timber on the main lake, flats, deep, shallow, not so deep. And what retrieve should we use, fast, slow, medium, stop and go, jerk baits, crank baits, plastic. We’re getting desperate, need to catch a musky so we need advice, suggestions, wild hairy guesses, anything. :D :D :D

7. Jerkbaits or crankbaits fished as jerkbaits (though I'll have a spinnerbait handy) w/slow, erratic retrieve. I'll be looking for spots w/cover & easy access to deep water - points, timbered flats on or near the creek channel, etc..

Sadly, the old red boat's depthfinder has NO temperature gauge, so I'll NOT be able to participate in the group measurement & report.

Now get out there & CAST....

8. Cincinnati if your going to be out Saturday also it sounds like we have them surronded so one of us should get at fish or at least a follow. Good luck.

9. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

Hello gents, I have never fished for muskie at C&C however i have 3 years of experience of pike fishing in canada. You can look at my pictures to see what a beautiful fish this is, so I am now going to give up my secret bait. Its called a bulldawg. Troll this bait around points on the outer edge of weedbeeds in the deeper part, OVER DROP OFFS is huge. I know pike are alot like muskie so if you want some big fish trolling these areas should get you some hits. also muskie are more actively feeding when there is a southern wind and they will lay all along the northern part of the lake so the wind is pushing baitfish towards them. Ive got some more tips on muskie if anyone has any questions send me a PM. I do not fish for them due to not having a boat or living near a muskie lake all though i have always been interested. For more info on the bulldawg go to www.muskyinnovations.com, get a big rod/reel and be ready for the hit of a lifetime! My three biggest fish came on these baits.

10. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I purchased 4 Bull Dawgs about two weeks ago at Fishermans Quarters and used them on my last two trips to C.C. I didn't give much thought to trolling with them. I have been trying various other baits while trolling.

11. Difference between fishing a reservoir that is less than 30 years old and northern natural lakes is that there aren't nearly the same types of cover. That is the hard part on this body of water. There aren't large beds of cabbage or other things on sand bottom lakes, this is a muck bottom with algae or old trees for cover. I have yet to find the pattern to where the muskies will stage. I hope to show lazy that bugger that jumped at me a couple weeks ago. I'll be using super shad raps and other baits to try and mimmic small saugeye or large shad. I think that will be the main forage fish for the gators. I have yet to see a muskie follow a spinner bait, however I've heard of the majority of bass fishermen who've taken muskies have doe so on spinner baits. That is most likely due to the frequency with which bass fishermen use spinnerbaits. Maybe we should get about 4 boats, and 2 100ft seine nets. Would the game wardens buy a smelt run? Just kidding. Good luck all.
    BB

12. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

all my big pike have come from drop offs, points, and sand bars, none of my big ones have come from the bays or weed beds, but like you said they have rocky/sand bottom not muck. Wish i had a boats boys cause id be out there with you but im a poor college kid :cool: If i were you guys id be hitting any points or spots where it goes from 10 straight to 20 fow. I would put money on the fact that there is a 50in. fish in CC owning that lake. Good Luck guys and bring me some good news tomorrow.

13. Juniormintz

Someday we hope to figure out some type of pattern that will work on this lake so any and all suggestions are welcome. The season is about over but maybe next spring we can get you a ride with someone on the lake.

14. Scarletfisherman

Scarletfisherman Catch & Releaser

Juniormintz;

Ditto from Lazy. In the spring, I'm sure several of us would be glad to give you a ride and share techniques, etc. I think Pike is trying to organize a get together for those interested in fishing CC for muskies. Would you be interested?

Thanks for the tips!