Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started fishing CC this spring and did well but now that it is warm I'm struggling to get any kind of pattern going. I fish close to wellman and that area. You bass guys do you fish north or south of 73? I catch small bass on senko's crankbaits but nothing of size.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
you have to think deep in that lake. and as was said in another post those fish have seen every lure and presentation. alot of people have told me that cc isnt like other lakes. think 90% of the fish are behind where everyone is fishing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have been fishing the lake for a few years and have come to the conclusion that if you target LMB all year long, you will be fustrated fishing this lake. There are a lot of LMB in the lake but, because of their popularity, they are targeted by more fishermen than any other species. I believe that every known method of LMB fishing will work but, because of the pressure, will not be consistantly productive. To really appreciate the amount of pressure this lake gets you have to be out there on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I was there last Sunday fishing in Sheephead Bay and there were boats about every 50 ft. Most of the fishermen were fishing for LMB. In the time that I was there I saw one LMB caught and it was about 1 lb. That would be about 25 boats to 1 small LMB.

There was a couple of guy fast trolling for saugeye with a small outboard that came by me about a dozen times and we kept comparing our catches. I was anchored eating lunch and fishing with worm under floaters and had only caught a hand full of WB before that trolling. By the last time by me, he said he had caught a bunch of WB, a few Saugeye and one 35 lb catfish. Don't know if it was BS or not because I didn't see them catch any fish but I wasn't watching them either. If true, they had a far more productive day than me. Don't know what they had on the end of their lines but I suspect worm rigs, Hot N Tots or Erie Dearies.
________
VAPIR NO2 BEST TEMPERATURE

·
Registered
37 Posts
We were trolling small bass plugs and a couple muskie lures, thus the speed trolling. We caught a few small white bass on bass plugs. The lake must of had a heck of a wb spawn last year. We got a couple decent wb and a couple saugeyes. The flathead took a bass plug also.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Marc,

Awesome fish!! Glad to see your post. Next time you tell me something, I'll believe you! How deep were you trolling? Did you release it?

You are right about the WB. There are so many WB (most are dinks with 1 or 2 keeper per trip) that it is a wonder anyone can catch any of the musky, LMB or SE in that lake with such a large supply of live food. The bright side is the bigger fish have been feeding on the spawn for sometime now and will grow very big on that diet.

I had trolled all the way from the Wellman ramp to where I first saw you in Sheephead Bay and only picked up a handful of WB. I fish the lake almost every week. If you see me out there, give me a shout.
________
Web Shows

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not a problem. That fish was caught by my partner. We had moved out deeper and that fish came from 10-12 ft of water off of a point. We released her to swim for another day. it took about 15 minutes to land and had the bait about a foot deep in her mouth.

I fish CC mostly spring and fall for muskies. I typically take a mid-day break and see if i can get a couple SE, WB for the cooler. This year I have caught a ton on WB. Some trips we nailed big WB, but mostly they have been small.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This spring early I was catching white bass 1-2 lbs. in 50 degree water but since then I'm catching 4-6 inch fish that might as well be junk fish cause I can't troll with harnesses due to the little buggers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts