Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
steelieguy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 12' boat a few years ago and fish mostly at CC. Ive caught my share of crappie, saugeye and white bass. All when I THOUGHT I was fishing for LM. Two weeks ago I was "fishing", (I'll explain that in part 2) tossing a 4 blade spinner bait on 50 lb. braided line around noon. I have to say, in 30 years of fishing, I've caught some decent fish - big cats, northerns, steelhead. NOTHING comes close to this.

When I set the hook on this thing, it felt like I snagged a freight train headed straight under my boat! I had the drag set as tight as it would go, and this guy was pulling line off!

I learned 3 lessons in the next 5 minutes. 1.) Don't have 5 poles set in the middle compartment of a 12' boat, 2.) If you have a net out, but you haven't extended the handle, it's useless, and 3.) If you want the picture of a catch of a lifetime, fish with a buddy to take a picture.

It was everything I could do to wrestle this guy to the boat. Once I get him to the side as I'm holding him with the pole in my right hand. While he's flailing around, I try to get the net with my left hand. The net snags on 2 of the reels. I try for a minute to untangle the mess and realize that aint happening and without the net, there's no way I'm getting this fish in the boat. So I grab my phone and try to activate the camera. Between the struggling fish and the adrenalin, I'm shaking so bad I cant even push the buttons to unlock the phone. So I grab the pliers and get the hook out. I got a very good look at him. It was easily 44 - 45 inches. The most beautiful fish I've ever seen. By far the best day fishing I've ever had!

So, does this count?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You don't need the picture. Stories are better. Great catch! You explaining the adrenaline rush is awesome! Congrats! I'm looking forward to that catch.

·
Sams Club Member
77 Posts
No pic no proof. That being said who the hell am I? You'll have that memory for the rest of your life and none of us or anyone else can take that away. Most of my biggest fish caught are just stories now but they're my stories and I cherish each one. Will that fish get a little bigger over the years? Maybe. Will the struggle with the fish get more dramatic? Possibly. You know what you Caught and that's what matters most. Now if someone could help me down from this soap box please...

·
steelieguy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol Mattman, I just wonder if it's technically a "catch" if it didn't make it in the boat. And thanks Dude.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Lol ive always considered shoreline/boatside muskies a catch in my book. Lol who the hell wants slimed bye them anyways. Great catch!
The last two bigger muskies ive hooked have come off at my feet as im reaching for my phone to get a pic.

·
Obsessed
177 Posts
I always thought I was the least graceful fisherman in the world. Glad to hear I'm not alone lol. Congratulations on an awesome catch. I agree with the others, it definitely counts because it helps keep the fish healthy

·
Registered
968 Posts
I count it. We release fish all the time at the boat without taking them out of the water. I usually net them for my own safety having been injured several time. Trust me it's no fun having a 3/0 or bigger hook in your hand and also attached to a large angry fish. It's hard to guess the size of a fish, not saying yours wasn't what you say it was, just that it's difficult to do but, a guess is Ok. Much rather see someone release it at boat side and guess at the size as see them drag it into the boat and toss it on the deck, very hard on these fish and my well kill it later on as this removes their slim coat and they get a fungus that can kill them weeks later. Your right that they are an amazing fish. Nothing better then starting the turn for your figure 8 at the boat and having a 40 plus inch fish come absolutely out of nowhere and slam your bait. Then it's game on with 20 inches of line out. Your right that you do need to be prepared. I fish mainly by myself and I always have my net extended and ready with my release tools set in a spot on the deck that is right by where I usually net my fish. My net is coated and prolly close to 4 feet in depth and I can leave a fish in it hanging over the side of the boat with the fish setting in the water grab my release tools and camera and go to work getting it unhooked and also let it chill out a bit. While they are expensive a really big coated net is worth it's cost if your going to target muskies all the time. Also a good set of hook cutters that will easily cut large hooks will make life easier.
That's enough preaching. Congrats on the nice fish and be careful it's very addictive.

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,432 Posts
Steelieguy- Awesome story and yes CATCH! In my few years of catching them one thing is for sure- you probably under guessed her size... Almost every fish I get in the net I have a "guess" in my mind and when I get the measure stick on them- its always 2-3" more..
My biggest is only 42" but I caught it on my lightest muskie rod I have. Your story made me laugh- especially with the net, yes, everytime I'm solo I ALWAYS engage my net and lay it down ready... this rule saved my butt with the 42"... that fish was only 3" longer then my previous 4-5 best (39") but it acted like it was 10" longer and 20 lbs heavier... Had my boat spun around 3 times, almost had me twisted up with trolling motor 2 times... Jumped clear out of water twice...finally got her in the net. :) She's my avatar pic.
I commend you for your "release", the fishing gods will smile on you again!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Didn't measure him but, I would say he was 38-40". He wrecked my Berkley Flicker shad lure. Broke both treble hooks! Lol
Had a bigger one take my lure and planer board and never saw either one again. Yes, CC lake

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
I've caught 4 solo from my kayak and have no pics to prove it for the same reasons. I dont have a muskie net because they things are so dang big and a net in a yak screams for hooks.

I do have a hook cutter though. Better than a net if you are alone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts