CC muskies

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

My last un-married fishin buddy got a serious gal and have'nt seen him for a while now. He called me up to go w/ him to fish for muskies and bein' that I had'nt hung out w/ him for a while I went along even though he usually doesn't hook any. I had tied up a couple very large shad imitations on 3/0 hooks,10-11" long, using the plastic mylar "icecicles" you use on X-mas trees these days along w/ some various other flash materials actually intended for flytying and ended up w/ some fishy looking streamers w/ plenty of flash. Started out about 8 am fishing off a windswept point my buddy has hooked fish at before and work across some blow downs and got a rip but no hookup. I had been and still was skeptical about hooking a muskie and thought it was an LMB. We turned the boat around and headed back past the same blowdown coming back down the shoreline when I got whacked hard and felt the thumping of my first muskie on the end of my line. Now,I'm used to fish that hit and rip,you know,like stripers or steelhead. This thing fought like a spawned out steelhead,kinda lame back and forth thrashing.Right as I got it to the boat it changed tactics and ran at the boat. Well,that did it,slipped the hook.Probably 3' or so in length.
    Got hit so hard a little down the shore it ripped the line from my hands,missed that one.Sure felt big compared to the first one. Missed another hit a lil bit after that and nothing the rest of the morning. All that was in half an hour.
    Went out again by myself today after y'days motivation,got out a lil earlier and got my first "hit" about 10 min into fishing. The wind was driving my lil 11' boat into the shore and I fired up the trolling motor in reverse w/o taking my fly from the water at the end of the cast and while it flopped on the surface as I backed out a small muskie came up and whacked it. No hookup as I was'nt even holding on to the line.Cool,I woulda felt bad sticking a 24" fish w/ a 3/0 hook. I fished all morning w/ no other hits,had another small one charge my fly from under a log but turned away at the last second. Wind was a real pain in my little boat,my buddy's Lund was much better at that! It changed directions many times and varied depending on how it hit the banks as it came across the lake but it was a steady bother.
    First day we saw and heard a LOT of small animal/bird activity early on but it died down along w/ the bite. Todays small animal activity was minimal save for a few squirrels,birds were relatively quiet.Left about 1pm when the sun came out.TC1

2. MuskieLuv

MuskieLuv Soutwest Ohio Muskie Assc

Sounds like you had a good time with the Ski's!!! Keep trying and you'll get one in the boat. If your hooks aren't needle sharp take a file to them. All the Muskie pros preach super sharp hooks and drive them home on the set. I hope the action stays on until Sunday, planning on hitting the water then.

ML

3. Muskie Hunter

Muskie Hunter All Species Trophy Hunter

Trying to debate whether to fish for muskie at CC this weekend, or hit the upper GMR for smallies?

Do you think the muskie bite will be shut down after this cold front comes through tomorrow? Don't feel like fishing all day if I can't see one; rather hit the GMR for smallies and pike if that is going to be the case.

Any thoughts?

4. on the sharp hooks.

By the very nature of its construction, a bucktail should be a high percentage hooker, even w/relatively dull hooks.

The first time I fished w/my favorite guide, he read me the riot act, in a friendly way, about my dull hooks & wouldn't let me throw any of my baits before he had taken a file to the hooks. Everything he sharpened would draw blood just looking @ it & one of those baits continued to hook everything that got it near it for quite some time.

I now file everything right out of the pack, & absolutely before I fish w/the guide, but never have matched his results w/a hook file.

I believe (as if I know anything about CATCHING muskies) that the cold front will be bad for musky fishing, but you'll never catch one if you don't get out there & try. Today would've been the day for me, but the last time I fished Clearfork, I stuck a fish as soon as the front passed & the sun popped out. Go figure....

5. Tall cool one

I hear ya guys,sharp hooks are mandatory.I was using a heavy wire hook that has given me problems in the past getting a good set on hybrids/stripes and after the hook slipping out on the first 'ski I tied some new flies w/ finer wire Owners that have never missed a strike for me.Now all I need to happen is for one to hit again!
    Had the opportunity to do it again today w/ same buddy(he said he kept flashing back on my fish thrashing and played hooky from work today) and we moved nothing,had no hits and the small animal activity was non-existant other'n a few squirrels later in the day when the sun came out.Fished 7 hrs today using my 10' 8 wt and a 250 gr sinking line and after 3 days of throwing w/ that rod and 10-12" flies my arm is a bit tender in a few spots.
    Muskieluv,it seems the crappier weather was a better bite and the nicer it got the slower the bite got.Not like after 3 trips I'm an expert but just relating my experience of the last few days out,TC1

6. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

I knew from the begining line that it was AJ :) As soon as I read this gave him a call. He sounded pretty ticked you lost it ;) Nice report glad to see ya at least got a fish on.

7. MuskieLuv

MuskieLuv Soutwest Ohio Muskie Assc

I'm by know means an expert on Ski's but I have read a couple times that don't think of cold fronts the same way in fall as you would the rest of the year for Muskies. Some times in the fall a cold front will get them to put the feed bag on, especially after having this mild weather we have had. If you listen to the Muskie guys up north they always do well in bad weather conditions and there seems to be a pattern with periods of snow and catching Ski's. I'm hoping for some snow while I'm on the lake
    Sunday!!!

Like mentioned below; can't catchem if your not fishing for them. For me, just knowing I have a chance at a fall pig is better than catching small fish.

ML

8. AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p

I know a cold front will shut them down earlier in the year, but I have been told by some of the best (not Jarrod) that they pray for a front when fishing in the late fall and early winter. Lots of pigs caught up north in cold, windy, rainy/snowy weather.

As for the hooks, I sharpen mine with a chainsaw file.

9. I know in some places Muskies are caught while ice fishing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. wonder if tom dietz has got one off the ice

11. anybody else pucker up when he stuck his hand in the water to grab the muskie.

12. LOL* I definitely think them boys ride that special bus to school

13. A 10 or 11 inch streamer? What weight outfit are you using to throw something that big?

14. I would say that anything is possible and Tom is quite capable of doing so, however Tom is from Northern Wisconsin and the muskie season is usually over when the ice is thick enough to fish. If he has caught one I'm sure he was not targeting them.

15. Tall cool one

Gulfvet,a 10' Sage XP 8 wt w/ a 300 grain sinking line...same outfit I used in AK for salmon.The streamers don't weigh much,just very wind resistant. I can consistently knock out 70-90' w/ it,more w/ a smaller,less wind-resistant fly. fly.D'you flyfish?
    Was gonna hit the ski's again later this week hoping for the after-the-cold-front-bite but looks like a roadie for steelhead instead, TC1