close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CC Muskie

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Freeze, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

In one of the threads it was mentioned that souther Ohio Muskie fishermen are tight lipped. So I thought I would help break the perception.

I fish CC a lot, usually at least once a week. The last few years my buddy, Fletch, and I caught very few Muskie, one here and there. This last summer that totally changed. I caught at least 20 Muskie and I would say Fletch caught just as many. Most were in the 22-24" range, however we did catch a few that went close to 30".

The first one scared the heck out of me, I target bass almost exclusively. Didn't even know how to take it off the lure. I saw a lot of guys trolling, and casting great big lures at the rock banks. We didn't catch any off the rock banks, but maybe that's where the 4' ones hang out, I dont know.

The truth is we caught all of them out of the lay downs using spinner baits and thin crank baits. And they were aggressive, I caught several after I saw them follow my bait to the boat and then I put my bait back down in the water - moved it around some and watched the muskie come back and attack.

So that's the scoop, they are there. Not that I'm happy about it, they stink the boat up something awful. Maybe some of the muskie fishermen can answer a couple questions for me.

1. Are they eating the bass and crappie, seems like they would to me.
    2. Are they taking habitat away from the bass. We are catching them where we used to catch bass, if we catch a muskie in an area we don't catch any bass in the same area.
    3. Is there a size limit on muskie, although I don't know why anyone would want to take one anyway. Of course we won't take any bass out either.... But if muskie are going to hurt the bass fishing maybe it's time to start loading my pond up with them --- just kidding guys... :D

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

>they are there. Not that I'm happy about it, they stink the boat up >something awful.

nothing beats the smell of muskellunge in the boat!
    catch one over 40" and then tell us how it smells :D

btw, I believe muskies will run bass out of some prime areas, but they'd much rather eat shad. I wouldn't worry about them hurting the bass population.
    EH

3. Thanks for the information Freeze. Myself and I’m sure others who do fish Caesars for Musky appreciate any information we can get their location and/or what their hitting on.

I agree with Esoxhunter, Musky will feed on the most abundant food source which would be shad.

4. Well, they'll eat anything they can chase down and fit in their mouth when they are hungry but they'll primarily eat shad (there's no shortage of shad forage in CC), they'll also eat smallish carp among other things.

With muskie, particularly in waters where they don't naturally reproduce to any major extent, the population density is so small that they won't take enough habitate away from other fish to make an impact. Northern Pike in the wrong lake can ruin the fishing but I don't know of that happening with muskie any place they've been introduced.

In most waters in Ohio there isn't a size limit but there is a 2 fish limit. In Pymatuning Lake (NE Ohio/PA) and the Ohio River there is a 30" size limit.

Dad got one that went 38" out of CC in the fall; we've also caught several in the 20-30" inch range over the past couple of years. Ours have also all come while casting jerk baits at typical bass cover. I have seen one caught off the rocks near the 73 bridge last summer. We've tended to catch most of the 'skis when we were targeting bass rather then when we were actually targeting muskie :rolleyes:

Steve

5. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Muskies definate food choice is shad, and I would say that muskie would not eat as many fry or small fish than bass do themselves, think about the last bass that spit up a small bass,perch or crappie.
    Example, Canada some of the bigest smallmouth in the world and more pike and muskie than anywhere else.
    Cave run KY Exceptional Muskie fishing, bass fishing, and crappie fishing. I have been told that people are throwing muskie on the bank and killing them, what a waste. All these fish can survive naturally. As a bass fisherman you have to change your approach everyday. Muskie will take some of the best spots, and there the top predator. It sounds kinda like you may be tournament driven, those other competitors are also going to have to adapt. I appreciate your info, It has always been a battle.(bass eat crappie)(bass and walleye eat all the perch)(muskie eat everything) Muskies would surely die in a pond anyway. This all goes back to the ODNR'S plan "CARRYING CAPACITY" A enviroment is never going to be able to survive if there is not enough food, habitat, or other they will not survive. Ohio Muskie will probably never naturally reproduce. Bass always will!! JUST TO FEED THE FIRE WERE DEVELPING A STRAIND OF MUSKIE THAT ONLY EAT CARP!!! LOL
    I think everything will do fine. Although I think the bigger fight is going to be for habitat, none or very little weed beds and avoiding the pleasure craft. What every they do for muskie will also help bass. As for me I would rather eat a carp than take a bass or muskie, they are terible.
    I respect all of your opinions or beliefs but the best protection of our resources is to continue the sportsman in all of us.
    I'm going to give you my fishing history, 3 to 12 yrs bluegill, 12 to 18 bass, 18 to 30 walleye/saugeye/ 30 to 37 Muskie, this is remarkable. I have enjoyed and/or in my mind mastered how many species of fish. Man I think I'll go back to school and become a fishing writter. Esox said it well, You wait till your having a slow day and you see this log laying over by the bank, no its a muskie, he must be fifty inches long. Tell me you would'nt try him.
    WE might even be able to convert you with a fifty inch muskie. LOL
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzzzzy

P.S If you put them in your pond, we'll just have to stock more! LOL

6. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

All my ski's have came of wood and twister tails.
    Fishcrazzzzzzzy

7. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Thanks for the answers. To be honest the bass fishing is not great at CC, we do good but it's not great. It is nice to have another game fish to go after and they are a blast to catch. I'm all for something reducing the shad in that lake.

September this year I was fishing the mouth of a cove, there were 3 crappie fishing boats nearby. I made a long cast to a bushy tree laying in the water and even with all that line out the hit felt super hard. It was a 29" muskie and it must have come out of the water 4 times, making a heck of a racket. Even the guys in the crappie boats got to enjoy that one and I enjoyed it much more than the normal 12" bass. By the way, afterwards I went up to where that muskie came out of and the water was maybe a foot deep. This really suprised me.

I have to say this, I don't normally say anything to other fishermen when I see them doing something stupid but if I saw someone throwing a muskie up on the bank I would be extemely disappointed. Drums yes but what a waste to do that to any game fish.

A 50" muskie, yee haaaa - do you guys really think they might get that big in CC???

8. catking

catking Banned

You DA MAN Freeze for spilling your guts :D Yes, they will get 50" at CC. NO DOUBT!!! Hey, I'll bet there are more musky caught on spinner baits than any lure ;) Not to worry about them eating bass. But I am PETRIFIED that they are eating small carp :mad: .............. :D ........ DA KING !!!

9. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

There aren't any muskie's in CC ;)

LOL.

10. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Adding to the post are there any weed beds at Caesars? Flats? I know there are a lot of deep water humps, and wood. I had the best Crappie year ever on Caesars last year. 12" to 17" inch and 50 at a time and better, jigs and floats and minnows. Nice to be able to throw back 10 inchers. As for plans in the future, I have info that Caesars is going to be hot! There is no dought of a 50 inch muskie, there's already been a 42". Oh Yeh!!!! Only 8 more inches. The odds of muskies surviving is 50 % the first year. Bad thing is the next year its also 50 %. 1000 muskie turns into 500 year one, year 2 250 and down from there.
    Freeze more people need to be like you and ask these questions. It only helps Ohio to be one great fishery. My dad use to tell me that the only stupid question is one thats needed and not asked.
    I get all my info from muskie clubs, and there interested in caesars creek.
    Also you dont have to have a scale sample envelope, just collect the sample write down the required info on the sign at the boat ramps and send them in. We are below average with samples so everyone is important. I think only two last year. Thats not going to help. We need a spring outing of the southwest on Caesars. May!!!!! Small get together on the lake.
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

11. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

"I had the best Crappie year ever on Caesars last year. 12" to 17" inch and 50 at a time and better, jigs and floats and minnows".

You going to have to let me go in your boat next time I go to CC!
    :D

12. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

I just cant tell you, but I have good electronics and I found a "Oh I forgot".I cant tell you but I'll show you at the outing in may. Hey Fishcrazy Crappie guide service.LOL
    Fishcrazzzzy :eek:

13. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Ok, one more question: Besides the obvious shark teeth, are there any gill plates to worry about when you remove the hook and release muskie? Till now I've grabbed them across the back trying to keep the gills closed, but the bigger they get the more difficult that will become.

Fishcrazy - we will send samples this year, pictures if you want. Sorry, didn't realize anyone was still tracking that information. As a regular at CC, you can tell the powers to be that they are doing well..... Hey - will they reimburse us for the spinners those things keep taking from us? ;)

14. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

15. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Another excellant question. On small one behind the head works fine, on a big one the best is a 1.water release, 2. cradle or soft net, 3.lift the fish supporting the full body weight in two places, never hang it off one hand. You will literly rip the head from the body from there own weight. I think a horizontal lift is best supporting the body. Catking continue lipping them.
    Hot water get them back as soon as you can. Now muskie fisherman use 80 and 50 lb line why. 1.no break offs. 2. and more important to get the fish in with limited stress. Fishcrazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

16. Hello, All. I've been watching this Muskie post for a bit now. Just to give you a little back ground on me I'm a cheesehead transplant, So I've met many a Muskie fisher-person, brother, cousin, aunt, from up my way. (Wisconsin). Well, up my way they call the Muskie the "Fish-of-a-thousand cast's". And yes a muskie will eat anything it can catch. But very rarely have I heard of Muskie depleting native fish populations, (ie) bass, crappie, ect. Muskie, (In my opinion) prey on the most abundant food source, but also on the genetically inferrior fish, therefore, creating a better gene base for the native species. Muskie's can be caught, trolling, in laydowns, or dropoffs depending on the many factors, but the most common one is food source. As far as Muskie's having a foul odor, I never encountered that, bad smell of a Muskie, but I've caught about 4 in my 43 years, and all, while fishing for bass or pan fish. Also, the guys, gal's I know use 15 to 30 lb line, most always with a very thin wire leader, as to allow for a smaller line test strength. Honestly, I was getting ready to give up on Ohio as far as fishing, vs. I just don't know how to fish anymore. but the chance of a trophy Muskie in the 50+ inch range in one of the stocked Ohio lakes is comming in the near future. And it's got me intrested. I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes with my opinions Also, I'm looking for a fishing tutor, fishing partner. for 2005.

17. I did a fair amount of Musky fishing years ago at Chataqua (spelling?) in NY. We caught them trolling as well as casting. Through a lot of hard work and really learning the favored haunts and weedbed structure we were able to average about a musky every seven hours. Most were in the 30 to 36 inch range but we also took our share in the 40 to 44 inch range. All were released. We never really did any good on bass or walleye in the favored haunts which is a no brainer. Also found the smaller fish to hold tighter to heavier cover as I'm sure they knew they were as good a meal to their larger likeness as anything else. We twice caught musky with the tail of smaller musky sticking out of their gullet. The hatchery at Chataqua had a firly large cannibalism problem. Never noticed a smell problem.
    We hit it big time one weekend when the fish went on a real feeding binge. Seven fish in a day and a half! Largest was 42 inches and smallest was 36 inches. Saw some real hogs come to the landing that weekend. Thought you might find these comments interesting.

18. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Great posts... But now I'm really curious about the muskie odor I notice when I catch them. I've seen two different people say they have not noticed this, so I'm wondering if it's something about CC that is bringing out a stronger odor?

19. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

That's the smelliest fish I have ever touched. I've never been close to one outside of Caesars Creek. Maybe it does have something to do with CC?
    They were so strong that I could smell them when they were next to the boat, not yet raised out of the water.

20. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Muskie Chaser

Northern pike smell that way too, I had a joke but thought better. If you notice they have a terrific slime coat. You could spread that stuff on toast. I think the reason they stink is related to the slime coat. Just blame it on your partner and catch another. Just a reminder a muskie is a wild animal and will bite if threatened, though rare beware!!!!

I carry "beano" with me and put a few in there mouth, no problem!!! LOL
    Fishcrazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy I ask my vet/muskie pro contact