close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CC Lake Report 2/6

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Freeze, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Hey guys -

For anyone interested, I went out to check that state of the lake. It appears to be mostly open water. Still ice in the coves, by the dam anyway. Wellman's ramp is still closed. Looks like the water has been as high as the restrooms, the parking lot is a mess and you still can't see the concrete docks. I don't think I've ever seen the lake as high as what it must have been, and it's still way up.

I saw a few guys fishing the spillway, didn't see anything caught but I didn't watch them long. They are letting water out at a high rate, current below the spillway is fast but fishable...

Can't wait to get a line wet again...

2. The water level is still 8' 6" above winter pool. When I visited the late this afternoon there were 4 boat trailers in the Rt 73 ramp parking lot, I had hope someone would give us a report on the water conditions.

From the debris left behind at the north pool ramp it appears that when the water level was at it's highest the north pool ramp parking lot was under between 3 to 4 feet of water.

3. my boy and I went down to the spillway too. saw a guy catch a smallie and a white bass. threw bucktails and jerk baits.....no wait, I wanted to but didn't. water temp was cold as a witches *** in a brass bra, clarity was about 13 inches. there is your water report. I walked down to the wellman ramp too, water was about 2/3 of the way up the doors on the lower restroom, near the parking lot.

4. I've been checking The Daily Lake Report at http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/ ever couple of days or so. They are slowly lowering the water level, it's down to 7.4 feet over winter pool now (2-8-05). Hopyfully they can get it down to normal levels before the spring rains start so they can get the docks in.

5. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

The temps are supposed to be in the upper 40's today. Is anyone going out to CC?

6. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

I'm going to try to make it later in the afternoon.

7. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Did you make it out Floater? Wondering if Wellmans is open yet.

thanks

8. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

Hey Freeze,

I did make it out to the spillway late yesterday afternoon. Water was very high, I made a few casts with no result and just ended up hiking for the rest of the afternoon til dark. I didn't get a chance to go over to Wellman's. Didn't see anyone else fishing either. Very nice day to be out, unlike today!

9. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Thanks Floater, yeah I ended up doing a lot of hiking last weekend. Gotta watch those trails though with melting snow on them :)

Lazy - music to my ears - lake back to normal, let's hope!!!! Thanks for the URL...

10. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Would it be worth a trip from akron in say 2-3 weeks to hit that
    lake for some EARLY spring saugeye fishin?
    this winters killin me and we are still 3 weeks from ice out up here.

11. I checked out Wellman's and the two ramps off of the highway 73 by the ranger station. The northpool ramp was under water up to about the sailboat parking area at one point this winter. The levels are at summer pool from the looks of it, the water level is below the bottom of the concrete dock supports at all 3 ramps. I saw one boat put in at the south pool ramp on 73, and one boat (on a trailer) coming west on 73 from the ramps. I also saw a set of tracks coming from wellman ramp. There are folks putting boats in the water now, didn't see any ice in the water, but the stuff on the banks from the flood is still visible in the saddles where the sun can't get to them. Hope the rain washes that slick mud from the ramps, or the volunteer fire department may get some truck fishing in. I'm ready to hit the water once the air hits 50 degrees. I do recall last year some snow and ice in the 3rd week of March. Hope I don't jump the gun.

12. Smallie, the saugeye fishing at CC is hit or miss in the best of times so I'd say you'd likely be disappointed if you drove all the way down from Akron for CC 'eyes :( The crappie there might be worth it; but still, it would likely be feast or famine.

Steve

13. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Hey thanks for the ramp report. Time to at least run the boat a little. And yes, the last 3 years we have had ice on CC until sometime in March. Let's hope these temps hold out, cause you can tell from the posts we are all bitin the bit to get out.. :) Smallie - it all depends on the temps but I do agree 2 weeks might still be a bit early. Let me know if you decide to come down.

14. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Smaliie guy, I've caught some saugeye's over there by accident when fishing deep cranks for bass. I bet if someone targeted those fish they could probably do well. I think the water temp is still around 38F though.

15. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

38 is cold for sure but at least it open :D
    All I got to look @ up here is ice :( :(
    We'll see what the weather does in a week or 2 and
    maybe plan something out.
    Thanks to all for the updates.

16. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I rode around the lake on my Triumph this afternoon. There were about three boats on the water from each ramp. Water and ramps looked good. Two people in a Tracker came in at Welman ramp with a couple keeper crappie. It looked like they had been useing minnows.