close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CC & Cowan Crappie

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by supersize, Jun 26, 2004.

1. I've been on a nice pattern at the above-referenced lakes for the last week catching crappie. Trolling a silver & black Wally Diver about 100 ft. behind the boat at ~2 mph. I've been to Cowan twice and CC once (CC last night) and have been absolutely killing the fish. The pattern is to troll in 20-25 feet of water, and the fish are suspended about 10-12' deep. Look for schools of baitfish, and troll there. The first fish I usually catch are small, so I let out more line to get the bait deeper, and that's where the bigger fish are (12-13"). The only problem with this method at CC is once I find the bigger crappie, I start to catch the drums, also. I had a couple hits on a chartreuse Wally, but it is primarily black & silver. I have had absolutely no luck with any other crank, having tried every other shad-type crankbait I own.

One more thing, if you want to go get some of these Wally Divers, Wal-Mart has them for about $3.75. However, don't go to the Wal-mart by the Dayton Mall, because I bought them all out yesterday!

Good luck, I'm interested if anyone has success with this.

2. SS,
    Yes, I know what your talking about. After the crappie have moved out of the shoreline area on Lake Erie I can find them alot of times trolling near the Catawba cliffs just off shore useing the same method. Only this year small wee shad crankbaits seem to work better in my area. All my takers are near sunset in about 15 to 20 feet of water and running 9 to 12 feet down.
    I don't know about you, but when they are deeper they seem to fight harder.
    Again thanks for the report.
    Keep it up,
    JimG

3. JimG,

Your success with the small wee crankbaits supports my success with the Wally Diver. It is the smallest-sized shad type bait I have, ans as I said, no other baits have worked. I'm using the deep diver model.

After I posted earlier, I was reading my copy of North American Fisherman, and there happens to be an article specifically talking about catching crappies with this method. The article says that post-spawn, the crappie move off the banks and hang on the edges of schools of baitfish. They like to pick-off the fish on the edges of the schools.

Oh well, I found this method out by mistake, as I originally trolling looking for saugeyes. What's the saying about a blind squirrel?

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Glad to hear about that method. I've picked up a few crappies fishing like that for saugeyes both at CC & Brookville. Now maybe I'll try it on purpose. ;)

5. I have found in the past that while trolling for eyes with the hot n tots that they would pick up nice crappies in the same way as mentioned here. The hot n tots that look like shad were the best colors. At c c sometimes when you are trolling you will get into the white bass the same way. When I was there this week the shad were in large school supended over the 25 fow and you could mark all kinds of fish around them supended at about the same depth.

6. taxiecab & mrfishohio,

I'd appreciate any help you can give me in trolling for saugeyes at CC. Do the hot-n-tot "fat bodies" work better than the slimmer "minnow bodies"?

What depth and speed do you troll at? Do you catch them suspended or near the bottom? As I stated earlier, I was trying to catch some 'eyes when I came across the previous stated pattern.

Any help would be appreciated...