Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put in at Wellman around 8 am and left about 2 pm. Water Temp was 74 when we arrived and 77 when we left. Water clarity was about 3 feet. Water color looked like very weak pea soup. Fishing was very good as this was the most action I have had on CC. Started out using 3 rod and reels and wound up using one because having 3 fish on at the same time got a little hecktic. The kind of problem I wish I had all the time. All WB. Trolling worm harness's with nightcrawlers and minnows on bottom bouncers. Largest was about 12". The south pool seems to me to be producing larger fish than the north pool. Of course, I was targeting walleye and SE trying to get way from WB with the bottom trolling method. Twice I had my rig wiped out by some deep water phantom monster. On one of those occasions, I got back my ball bearing snap swivel and it looked like it was drawn & quartered by 4 freight trains. I used 35 lb floro for the harness'. Don't think they were snags because the hits were very hard and then they were gone and I wasn't trolling fast enough to have broken the line and no way near fast enough to do that to the swivel. So this week I will be taking my ocean rod and reel. What type of line do you guys suggest for worm harness's? Looking for something flexible enough to tie a hook on with a snell knot but strong enough to not be cut by sharp teeth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
________
NastyJapanese cam

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
Remember that state law only allows you to fish with 2 rod and reels at one time. Wouldn't want to see you get fined for something.

The fish that broke you off was probably a musky. They get big and are some powerful fish.

Nice report

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would have been busted for sure if my daughter, who has a license but rarely fishs, hadn't been on board and reminded me that she was fishing too. But if a GW had come along at exactly the moment I had a rod in each hand and one stuck under my arm, I would have been in trouble. I might get off if I pled temporary insanity. Wonder if I could have gotten off or if there is a plea for involuntary body reaction or irresistable urge. When that third rod got a strike the urge to pick up the rod and set the hook was irresistable. If I got a sympathic judge that fished, I might get off without a fine after all it is a rare occasion to have a triple. I could also throw the judge a couple of special worm harness's and might have to take him to a honey hole. Heck, after I got done in court, I might have a new judge fishing buddy.

Yeah my guess is musky too. Question is how to make a worm harness that their teeth can't cut. I was thinking spider wire but don't have enough experience with it to know if it is strong enough to keep the line from being cut by their teeth. Pretty sure it is fexible enough.
________
Colorado dispensaries

·
Registered
298 Posts
Was there today myself ended up with 9 whitebass 14-15" and a bunch of smaller ones. No saugeye today just white bass and 1 largemouth about 10". We use 80 to 120 pound floro leaders for muskie fishing might be a little much for saugeye. they would feel the leader and spit out the bait would be my guess. If it only happens once or twice I would just deal with it if it was me. If it happens frequently try a steel leader or floro leader and see what you can bring up. Think I will try again friday and see if the saugeye are biting by then.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We use 80 to 120 pound floro leaders for muskie fishing might be a little much for saugeye. they would feel the leader and spit out the bait would be my guess. If it only happens once or twice I would just deal with it if it was me. If it happens frequently try a steel leader or floro leader and see what you can bring up. Think I will try again friday and see if the saugeye are biting by then.
I tryed tying a hook on with 50 lb mono but it was too stiff to tie a snell knot. I imagine 80 to 120 lb floro would be even harder. I could use a different knot but old habits die hard. I will have something ready by the weekend.

It has happened with enough frequency that I think I am missing out on not catching whatever it is and that drives me nuts because I don't want anything to get away especially anything that hits that hard. I also have caught enough white bass to last me for awhile. What type and color of crank baits are you using for the saugeyes? I caught some last year on shallow diving green and chartreuse bombers near the surface but haven't had any luck so far this year with it.

I will be at CC at least once this weekend and might run up to CJ too. If you see a blue and white bayliner with a minn kota wireless on the front and a blue bimini top, stop by and say hi.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
I just slow troll with my muskie rig. Steel leader and all. Bottom bouncing is less worrisome when you've got 125 lb steel leader and 80 lb braid on a heavy action muskie rod / reel. If I get hung up, I just reel the boat back to the snag! I haven't noticed any "line shyness" when bouncing the bottom like this. Maybe I miss some fish but some always take the bait.

BigRed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts