close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cc 7/25

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BANDIT, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Got on the water at 7A fished until approx. 12P. Fishing in the no wake zone at Wellman. Started off throwing a white buzzbait, got three in about 15 minutes time and missed a fourth :( . Of course the one I missed was the biggest. (How come the picture of that fish coming out of the water and throwing the hook plays in your mind over and over, like instant replay??? :D ) I honestly would have to say it was 3+, which was probably close to the total weight of the three I caught. :p Threw the buzzbait some more, threw 3 different crankbaits, a power worm, a zoom worm, rebel pop r and a spinnerbait and never had another hit. :mad: At least I was on the water, someday I'll learn how to fish this lake. I know fish the humps but no one has told me where they are and I haven't seen to many boats fishing open water to try and locate the humps. Saw several catfish and a huge turtle also on the north wall.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

Couple of good looking bass there, i'd do anything for some good buzzbait action :D

3. Bandit,
    Those do look like some healthy fish. They seem big for their length. They must be eating well. I don't know the Wellman area you mentioned, but I do know of several "humps" on this lake, and I am sure there are more then just these.
    There is the one by the Dam Cove out in the middle of it to the south side.
    There is the very large one on the north side of the island that comes up from 35 ft to about 10-12. Another on the south side it comes from 25 up to 5ft.
    Way off to the east of that south tip of the island, and almost to the other shoreline, that 5 ft plateau drops off to 12 very quick. I have been told that the saugeye hold close to this ledge. I saw 10 or so boats there on Saturday night at 11:00 pm.
    I was surprised to see so many boats out there at night. I'll bet over 50-75 boats easy.

4. Unless my eyes (or brain) deceive me those are all spots...which would explain their healthy fatness.:)

For bass at CC I've always preferred a cove that's fed by a feeder stream (Flat Fork cove which is the cove by the dam, Jonah's Run, Turkey Run and Buck Run are my favorites). Sometimes, even in the heat of summer, the bass will be feeding in unbelievably shallow water in the rocks at the ends of those coves and most of my best bass have come there (even in July and August and in the heat of the day). If the bass aren't hitting shallow we'll pull back out of the cove a bit and look for the first good ledge we can find or look for a big ball of shad on the fishfinder then slow roll a spinner and see if any bass are hungry. If you hit the back of those coves at the right time (like just before a storm rolls in) you can get into a mess of shallow bass. Getting a boat back into those coves far enought to reach the fish is the hard part (don't even try it in Jonah's Run unless you've seen that cove at winter pool as there are lots of stumps; Buck Run is also trouble for most boats).

If your wondering where the heck those coves are just take a look at mapquest.com and look at the names of the streams that feed into the lake from the south.

There's also a good hump about 1/4 mile due east of the Furnas Shores ramp. That usually gets hit hard in the spring by the crappie guys. The old indian mound area (north shore near the mouth of the cove) in Turkey Run cove often holds fish too.

Steve

5. for the replies. Trying to take it all in and remember it... haha. I'll have to print them off and take them with me. Bassman, I know what you mean, when they start hitting that topwater your heart just starts banging away and you can't wait for that next hit :cool: . This is the first real luck I've had with it at CC. I did get into some on The Big O in a tournament with some stripers mixed in earlier this year, that was pretty exciting too. Does anyone fish the the real long buzzbaits vs the usual size? If so how do you feel they compare , such as hits, missed hits etc., or is it just a preference thing?

6. I have to agree with Aler, those look like spotted bass to me. They are all real healthy looking specimens. Nice fish.

7. Can you guys explain anything more about how to tell the difference between the spotted bass and the largemouth?

8. catking

catking Banned

I'll take a crack at it. The LM bass, when you hold their mouth shut, goes even/behind the eye of the fish, plus it has un-broken stripes along it's sides. These fish have neither traits. Looks like spots to me also. ......Notice the first photo. The mouth opening is well in front of the eye ball...... CATKING

9. catking

catking Banned

I see where nobody called these LM bass to begin with :) NICE OBSERVATION Alter ;) I would have just looked at them and went on :rolleyes: .CATKING

10. Thanks CATKING. All news to me..the differences are subtle. I need to start paying closer attention to what I catch (....I mean what other people catch). Great photography Bandit.

11. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

they are spots for sure ,coloration and facial stripes and smaller mouths like catking said..the best way to tell is they have a small patch of teeth on the front top tip of the tongue kinda feels like sandpaper. :)

12. Yep, after a day of catching and releasing spots your thumb will be raw from their tongue patch :) Like Catking mentioned the mouth size is a good way to tell 'em apart, others have mentioned the darkish spot on the gill cover near the lateral line, and the horizontal lines that continue down towards the belly of the fish.

A lot of the bass that come out of CC are actually spots and not LMs but people usually don't know. The record spotted bass in Ohio is only 5 lbs and something; I wouldn't be suprised if a new record has been caught and released at CC but the person that caught it just figured they caught a big LM.

Steve

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

One way I use sometimes is the mouth of the spotted, aka. KY spotted bass, looks like a smallie and it's belly reminds me of a white bass. So when I see (in my mind at least) a fish that looks like a cross of a LM (some of the coloration) and a smallie & white bass...it's a spotted. :rolleyes:

14. Another way to tell the difference between spots and largemouth is that on the largemouth the first (front) and second ( rear) dorsal fins are separated, where on the spots and smallmouth they are connected.