close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cavs Slapped In Face

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Jul 9, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Just when I started caring about basketball again, Boozer railroads the cavs. The Cavs had Boozer under a contract option this year for 750,000$, but made him a free agent on his word that he would sign with the cavs. He lied and his agent lied and have accepted an offer from the Jazz for 68 million. They Cavs didn't have to do that, but decided to "reward" Boozer for his play. They thought Boozer had honor. Well he obviously doesn't and the Cavs will have to pony up 68 Million they don't have or lose him.

2. Kindlebeard

Kindlebeard OGF Birchbass Champ!!!

I say let him go. The organization showed class by releasing him on a verbal commitment. If he is not an honorable man, why reward him for his dishonor. He'll go to west and his career will get lost among all the elite teams out there. He can take his 20mil and feel good about his lack of character.

3. That will certainly be a big blow to the Cavs. He brought some respectable stats to a team that needed them every night.

4. That's the problem with the NBA today. Everyone's worried about making the biggest buck the fastest. Really, when you get talking of the difference between 41 and 68 million, what are you really arguing? The answer is the size of your agent's salary. No team loyalty, no loyalty to fans. Sad. And they wonder why people don't want to go spend 150 bucks to go to a game.

Mark my words, the same thing is going to happen when Lebron's contract runs out. Some big market team will start clearing cap room now, and take it on the chin for a few seasons. When his contract is up, they'll offer him some outrageous amount, like 300 million over 10 years, that no one will be able to match, and he'll jump on it. L.A., New York, Houston, Miami or even Chicago could all do it.

I knew there was some reason I don't like basketball.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Big Daddy, it's not just B-ball. Take a look at all the sports, even hockey. These guys are takin the money and running as fast as they can get paid. Nobody will accept a contract under 5 mill a season. If you look at how valuable Boozer is to our team, his salary is peanuts, compared to other guys with his ability. I've been a Cavs fan since 71 and he's the best #3 player we've ever had. To offer to pay him $750, even if they have an option year, is not going to keep this team together. This team will be the best we've had in over 25 years. Make him one of the focal points and pay him like it. I dont agree with the salaries these guys demand, but if the owners are paying it, what can we say. I also agree with with you about the game price. I cant afford to take my grandsons(2) to the games as much as i'd like to. $350- 400. is a bit much for each game. I'm glad they dont mind watching them on TV with me. I'll always be a diehard Cav's fan.

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

It is a sad state that sports have become, that is a huge loss for the cavs!

7. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Shouldn't single out the NBA, all the sports do it.

8. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Let's look at this another way.

$750,000 or $68 MILLION..Which would you choose? :rolleyes:

I agree with Big Daddy also, Ticket prices are out of this world. You're better off staying home and watch the games on the TV. :mad:

9. Dingo

Dingo

Big step (chance?) for Booz. Did he remarkably improve last season, or did he have a bit of help (Lebron)? Could be a situation like Scotty Pippen - left the security blanket (Jordan) and was never the force that he was with MJ, while being grossly overpaid. Hopefully Carlos enjoys a rebuilding team, a few steps back from where the cavs currently reside.

If the story the media is portraying is true, either he and/or his agent are scum. He could have signed at the going rate 750,000, said he was unhappy, and at least provided the cavs with something in return. It's a pessimistic way to view relationships -- but nobody can be trusted, as this illustrates.

He should enjoy his trips back to the Gund -- he's now at the same level as Albert (Joey) Belle. Probably wouldn't be bad advise to fake an injury before a visit here.

10. Do you mean to tell me a 20 year old didn't keep his word and opted out for an extra 30 million. Another example of Clevelands sports bumblings that goes on and on. The person solely responsible for not keeping him under the thumb should be gone with him. I'm not going to a Cavs game this year if this deal happens. Why should I pay the salaries of incompitant office guys. Sean Casey was a bigger loss than Albert Smell.

11. The Cavs aren't Saints in this whole mess, either. They were only going to sign him for the midlevel exception next year, knowing they got a steal in the guy. They were all about saving money. Bottom line, they should have picked up his option. Either pay him this year, or pay him next year. We don't know what was said exactly between Boozer and Cavs. If you were offered 6 years, 68 million, would you turn that down for $700,000? This could only happen in Cleveland. I doubt this will make Mr. James very happy.

12. He is not gone yet... But as good as gone :mad: :mad: :mad: