close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cave Run Lake-

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by catking, Jul 6, 2007.

1. catking

catking Banned

Went to Cave run lake for the first time and was I pleasantly surprised. Unlike Cumberland and a few other lakes south of our border, this is a GREAT fishing lake. The others tend to cater to the pleasure boaters. Cave run has them to, but this lake is set up for fishermen. I cannot believe the amount of open water 'humps" we found. Crappie averaging 1 1/2 to 2 pounds were COMMON...JEEZE US !!!!!!!!!! And the best part is this lake has GREAT camping and is just a short ride from the southern part of Ohio. It took me about 2 hours and fifteen minutes to reach this lake. If you haven't visited this lake , you need to check it out. Word of caution, call ahead of time to reserve a camp site as it was FULL , and not because of the fourth of July, as we went down two weekends ago. I plan on making a trip to this lake at least twice a year now....... THE CATKING !!! ;)

2. Did you try for muskie at all? I went down on a muskie trip there a few years ago and it was a blast. We went out with guides and all 6 of the guys I was with got one. Last I had heard it was supposed to be one of the better muskie fisheries around besides St. Clair and Mille Lacs.

3. The KING only has to cast ONCE for muskie!

I just got back from Cave Run, and while I love the lake and National Forest….the fishing was not that great. However, I do not possess the skills of the KING! I struggled to catch a few small bass each day. It is tough to fish BIG lakes from a kayak....too much paddling and not enough fishing. I did not try for crappie, but if they are that big I will be targeting them on my next trip. I’m sure that when the water cools it is the place to be for muskie. I plan to head back down in the fall to get a 30Lber from the kayak!

Where did you stay? Zilpo is my wife’s favorite place to camp, and she keeps asking to go back. In fact, since she found it last Spring, it is the only place we have camped. While it is a National Park with all of the niceties for women (bathroom/shower), Zilpo is still very isolated. It is about a 30 minute drive inside the park.

4. Rooster if you hook in to one of those skis we saw while we were there in a kayak you won't need to do much paddling anymore, I think you'll probably get quite a ride :)

5. catking

catking Banned

Sorry about the delay...anyways, as you can see ROOSTER knows DA KING quite well with the statements he made...:D Been a long time Mark..;) Heck , I don't even remember the name of the camping area, but it wasn't Zilppo...And I still have only "1" to my credit...:eek: Didn't try musky at all Webman, as I caught my one and only with just " 1 " cast...and I cannot top that feat, so I leave the toothy critters alone...:D ..As far as fisheries, Cave Run was once the tops, now it ranks about third behind Green River and Longhorn lakes of Kentucky...still a great Muskie fishery though.....DA KING !!!

6. While I didn't find any open water humps (wasn't really looking) I was able to find some nice schooling/feeding bass out where the river channel at like 40FOW meets a flat of standing timber in shallow 10' water I never caught any big bass but caught the numbers. I also accidentally caught my first musky at a place called "musky flats" I think, @28-30", white shad crank on shallow rocks. That was fun. My wife also likes the lake and camping, although we opted for the closer of the 2 campgrounds. It's similar to Laurel Lake/ Holly Bay camping...really nice...so where are these humps? I'm surely going back in '08 and need to load up some new spots to hit. I meant to run up farther in the river but just never made it, it's like a few mile run...I'll get up there this year, it's supposedly really stumpy up there. We'll see...