close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caution Read This

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIGDAWG, Mar 25, 2005.

1. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

Ladies and Gentleman,
    I just wanted everyone to be aware that someone, somewhere has put an unauthorized $29.99 charge on my credit card account. The charge was listed as "PLUTO DATA" on the statement. We just received our bank statement, and of course I blamed my wife for charging something and not putting the receipt in the checkbook. :rolleyes: :eek: After further investigation, the I.R.S. and F.B.I. are allegedly investigating a large scale fraudulent company making unauthorized charges on various accounts nationwide. Everyone please check your charge card and debit card statements THOROUGHLY. If you see any suspicious activity on your statement, contact your bank immediately so they can start an internal investigation. They may ask you to make a report with your local Police department so they will have a report number to reference. Channel 4 also had a clip last night at 11:00 about "PLUTO DATA" as well. ALWAYS SHRED EVERYTHING!!!! I hope no one else gets hit...... :mad: B.D.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That sucks.

You may want to buy a credit watch where the credit agencies will notify you if anyone tries to open a new line of credit in your name. Stop them before it gets worse.

3. Thanks for the heads-up Dawg. Always some SOB trying to rip you off:mad: !!!!

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I once had somebody use my card numbers in Malaysia. My bank caught it before I did and issues me a new card with a new account number - at no extra charge to me. All I had to do was sing an affidavit. It definitely opend my eyes! I shred everything just to be sure.

5. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I belive withing the next 10 years the way we see credit, and the way it is judged by lenders will change. With all the identity theft and such, everyone will at some point have a mark on their credit report.

flash-----------------------------------out

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have been shredding for about 4 yrs. now. even at work they always want your s.s.# on everything ,so i try to put n/a in its place whenever possible.

7. catking

catking Banned

You are not liable for any charges that occur from the result from theft or stolen identity, that's the law.... THE CATKING !!! :)

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

If you use a shredder use the type that crosscuts your documents. The kind that cuts straight ribbons are useless. They are very easily put back together if you have the time.

I burn all my stuff.

9. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

My wife contacted the bank today. We are not liable for the charge, however they traced the transaction to MY credit card. :rolleyes: Yes, I have apoligized to my wife.... ;) From what I can gather, my card COULD have been compromised using PAYPAL on E-BAY. I have only used E-BAY once in my friggin' life, so that is my luck :rolleyes: :eek: My wife told me NOT to buy the freakin' fishin' poles, but you see how that ended up!!! :D Let me know if anyone else has any similar issues. Thanks, BD.

10. I don't know if this is related but I just got an official looking e-mail about an ebay bid cancellation. When I clicked on the links provided they opened a link asking for my email passwords. I notified ebay and got a form reply back but nothing further. These people are getting pretty slick.
    Mike

11. Wow, funny you should mention that, they got me about a month ago. I seen the transaction right away and called my bank. They were able to get me the contact info for Pluto Data. I called them told them about the transaction and we were able to determine that it was fraudualant and they credited my debit card back in a few days. Just to be on the safe side, I called the bank and requested a NEW card with a NEW number since whoever it doing it obviously had my number and expiration date. I don't know about yours, but Pluto Data, a credit card procesing service used by online retailers, was able to tell me they tried to buy a DVD movie called Matador using a Columbus address (Beaver something) and a shipiing address in Dayton if I'm not mistaken. I still have their contact info, I think, in my desk at work and can pass it along if you'd like on Monday. I think that's a new stratagy for CC fraud in using small perhaps unnoticable transaction rather them one big one that you'd see right away or raise a red flag at the CC company. Thanks for sharing that though. Now more people know to be on the lookout and secondly I know I'm not alone and it wasn't just me that got careless with my card.

Just a note, I've never purchased anything via ebay, but I did once use paypal about 4 months ago with that same card.

Barry

12. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

When I travel to Erie and charge gas and a motel etc. by the time I get home there is a message on the answering machine from the card co. saying give them a call. I call them and they just want to check and see if I made these carges. Pretty slick, if it's a charge not within my area they hold payment on charges to make sure it isn't fraudulent.

13. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

Sorry to hear about your similar incident. If you still have that information, could you forward it to me? Thanks for any help....B.D.

14. Sorry it took so long for me to post this, it completely slipped my mind 'till this morning. Like I said I called the 888 number for Pluto and disputed the charge and was credited fairly promptly. Maybe too promptly for a company that just lost money (if ya know what I mean). Just didn't sound like I was speaking to a business, not enough noise in the background of phones, people talking, etc... Not to mention it seemed to take the woman a while to locate the transaction on the computer. Not like someone that does these types of lookups all day long. Curious also that an online service provider doesn't have a website to promote their service.

Pluto Data Phone: 1-888-323-8955

In my case the purchase was a cd/dvd of a movie Madador for $29.99
    The Address used was (I'd think it was made up, but shows on a mappoint map):

1318 Fudge Dr
    Beaver Creek, Columbus, OH 43204
    Phone: (614) 471-1381

Note the zip code says Columbus, but BeaverCreek Ohio is near Dayton.