close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caught a couple of bluegill today.

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Janus, May 13, 2008.

1. Got them with a 4wt I built and on a fly that I tied..What a great feeling to have luck on stuff that you have built.
    Still learning about tying tied foam spiders on 3906 nymph hooks eventually the hook got to heavy and the foam would sink...guess you learn as you go but the fish didn't mind.

2. Hey B. sounds like you had a good time. I know what you mean about the sponge spiders sinking, I've had the same experience. One way that I remedied that problem was to use Tiemco 200R or the Dai Riki 270 (same as the Tiemco 200 only cheaper but same Japanese quality). They use thiner wire than the 3906. Sponge spider bodies will start to sink at some point anyway but, a lighter hook helps.

J.

3. I agree with the light hooks...get the lightest dry fly hooks you can find. Also try giving 'em a little "squeeze" after they start to sink. I always have 2 rods rigged, 1 with a foam bait, 1 with a wet, & sometimes a 3rd for bass. That way I can switch off & it'll dry out in the sun.
    Mike

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Yep! That is pure fun right there!:) I use dry hooks myself on flies that I need to stay float.

5. Squeezing does work as does of course the lightest hook yuo can get your hands on. I tie all my gills spider patterns on Tiemco 102Y odd size hooks. They are an ultra fine wire hook with a widder hook gap than a normal dry fly hook and a black finish. They were designed for traditional soft-hackles but are excellent for this as well. They are generally not carried in stores, but places like Mad River Outfitters can order 100 count packs fairly cheap

6. Mike,
    I thank you for the heads up on the Tiemco 102Y hooks...I needed some wider gap sz 16s for my red-butt epoxy ants & these may fill the bill.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

7. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

got me a 3wt for just the ocassion. what a blast is right! I think a 3wt is a great rod to own a 4wt just the same. even if you hooked into something other than a gill , say a nice bass you would be good. mine handled gills with ease and a nice bass would be a load of fun!

8. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Already got a 17 incher bass on one of my poppers on the 3wt!:) But nothing like the 11 1/2 incher that I had to battle with to keep out of the grass.

9. This 4wt I built seems to have a stiff butt section so I think it could handle something bigger...I'm gonna try for smallies with it.

10. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

ya I see it working fine. just don't manhandle the fish and the rod should be ok,