close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caught a 40"+ Muskie today!!!!!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BKent, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BKent

BKent Blacklick Creek Resident

Casting a blue/chrome rattletrap at alum creek spillway around 4:30 today. All of a sudden I thought I was caught on a log. Then the log started swimming. I had absolutely no control over this fish whatsoever. We did battle for around 20 minutes. I had no glove with me, so I pulled him up onto the rocks just below the cement wall by the water. He flopped and broke my line (30 lb spiderwire!). I jumped down onto the rocks but was hesitant to grab a beast of a muskie flopping around with a rattletrap sticking out of his mouth! I watched sadly as he flopped back into the water with my crankbait still attached to his lips.

Knowing that my fishing buddy Pete would call BS on this I took a video explaining the battle and an older gentleman who was fishing with his son was my witness on the video (thank god for camera phones!). About 30 minutes later a guy fishing for Saugye (sp?) hooked into one of similar size and fought it for 30 minutes (8 lb test). He landed his and I video'd the catch. His buddy had gloves and a scale, came in at 13 lbs 11oz. What a day. What a catch!:B

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Awesome catch dude!

3. Nice one! That place will be a zoo today. lol

4. BKent

Yep, but it was a zoo yesterday too 8)

5. Congrats. Hope it's the first of many

6. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

If you didnt touch him is that a catch???? Not in my book but I dont know about how you musky guys do it.:)

7. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Great catch BKent, and don't worry. Hopefully those hooks will rust out in a day or two. Until then, that muskies going to sound like a baby rattle.

8. pizza

pizza

fish hooks will not rust out in a day or two but the lure may work itself free in a day or two. This is based on personal experience. 1. I've had two breakoffs in small ponds and found my floating crank on the bank a few days later. 2. Once I accidentally dropped a mini fat rap from my boat and about 2-3 weeks later miraculously snagged the lure. I was surprised to find the hooks were still in quite good shape and I didn't even bother trading them out. As long as the lure doesn't end up hooking both the lower and upper jaw the muskie will probably be ok. At any rate, congrats on the catch, not trying to hound you, just trying to educate. I'm quite amazed that I can't find any really good studies on this in the www (a few studies in saltwater and one amateur experiment is all I found).

and fwiw my fat rap on the bottom of the river for a few weeks is not the same conditions as a lure in a fishes mouth. I would guess that corrosion will probably be faster where the metal is making contact with the fish. In addition movement of the lure due to the fish swimming may also increase the corrosion rate. I've heard that if a fish is deep hooked and you cut the line and release the fish to leave a couple of feet of fishing line hanging to give the lure "extra drag" which will help increase the corrosion rate.

9. BKent

Zach: I got him up out of the water for about 30 seconds and stood over him. I could have reached and touched him, anyone that's fished the spillway will know the rocks I had him up on. In my opinion I landed the fish as I fought him until he was tired, and pulled him outta the water. From what I understand most musky fisherman like to keep their fish in the water while removing the hook.

10. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Again, AWESOME CATCH. Sheesh Zach....Must be a NE Ohio attitude thing.