Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought you all would like to get the fishing report on oshaughnessy . I dont see very many on here.Doing well at the north end of the lake. One over 23 inchs and a few other channels. Using cut shad. In 3 and a half to 4 foot of water. Caught the shad under the bridge.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
I have been doing really well on north (way north) in the river as well. Nothing huge but great numbers of 3 to 5 lb fish. Went last night and got 10 in a couple hours. Cut shad and liver. On a side note the may flies were awful last night. We had a swarm come in right at dusk that lasted at least an hour. glad we waited it out tho.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Anson was not way north but yes may fliescor some kind of hatch was happening. We got a wide variety of fish from boat last night crappies hybrids couple small eyes and smallies

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
It was insane where we were at, i rarely if ever have a campfire goin when fishing but thats all i could think of to get them to spread out some. I think it was the only reason my wife stayed. I bet we had a 30ft circle filled 2'' deep with dead bugs around the lantern.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Try small live bluegill for bigger channels. I've also caught better channels in Griggs than I have in O'Shaughnessy.

A good spot to try is on the point under the power lines and about a 1/4 mile north in front of the church/cemetary. These are especially good spots very early in the year, after ice-out. I've had better success on windy days, although you really need to watch your line to detect bites.

Kinda makes me want to go up and give it a try.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
Think Im gonna go down and give it a shot in a little while. Picked up about 2 doz shad at del today in the cast net. Got about 4 doz minnies left too. Will report back if I do any good

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
Not so much last night, think the cold front shut um down. We did manage 3 between 3 and 5 lbs. All on shad.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Use 3-4" live bluegill.

Not sure what rods you're using. My rig is typically a 2oz egg or bank sinker depending on the bottom and current. Ball bearing swivel, 2' of 30lb or larger flourocarb leader snelled to a 4/0 - 5/0 4x gama circle hook.

I'm using daiwa sealine baitrunner reels on 7' heavy ugly sticks with 40lb braid. I have had massive strikes that turned into no hookup. I was toying with saltwater type methods, which did not eliminate any resistance. Fish feels pressure and drops the bait. Switch to a beefy version of euro carp rig which virtually eliminates any resistance and big hits turned into solid runs and hook ups.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts