close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cats at eastfork this weekend

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Stampede, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Who else is going cattin at eastfork this weekend.Where do you think they will be hittin.I'm thinking of going up in the coves to where the depth is in the 10 to 15ft range during the day.Later in the after noon say 4:00 or so going up the mouth of the eastfork LMR,just up to where the first stickups start.If not there maybe somewhere where it's flattens out to 3 to 6ft of depth around the edges of the lake.What's your plan of attack?

2. catking

catking Banned

Mouth of the East Fork up to the first stick up would be great right now. CATKING

3. carphunter

carphunter cat killer

Good luck Stampede!!!

4. I'll be there with a buddy on Saturday afternoon.

We usually do well on some smaller channels in a cove that my buddy swears by. Trip is more to get the boat wet than anything but we will try a boat a few.

Good luck!

5. catking

catking Banned

Good luck to all of you guys, and be safe this weekend ;) CATKING

6. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

You think the mouth of the creek will be better during the day or later in the evening.We were planning on doing a little bass/cappie fishing till evening then heading over there till about dark then maybe moving into some shallows for a couple hours after dark.Do you thing the cats will be moving to the shallow flats after dark this time of year?

7. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Went out today,tried a little bass fishing.No luck.Tried a few places for cats.Didn't have any luck till around 6:00 after we moved.Caught a few small ones caught one eatin size,released it.The strange thing was deadline,20# trilene.Casting close to some deadfall.Something just took off with my line,i grabbed the pole,pulled back,you could feel a NICE fish on the line,then nothing.Reeled it in thinking i screwed up and missed,no hook. :rolleyes: How did that happen.Stripped some line,re-strung cast the same spot.10-15 min. another hard run.Same results no hook.That happened a third time. :confused: I've never had something like that happen. :mad: It's new line.Half hour after that i got hung up and the line was tough to break so i know it wasn't the line.It wasn't the knot because it was above where the knot was.Weird :D Any garrs in eastfork. :D The third time it hung me up,i sat the pole down and waitedfew minutes the line bounced and took off again,pulled back,felt a good fish,got a few good tugs,then nothing,no hook.Strange.

8. catking

catking Banned

The Gars at East Fork usually stay up in Cloverlick Bay. I've seen some freaki MONSTERS up in there. In fact I never realized that they got that big around this area. They were between 4-5 foot with HUGE girths. Don't know where you were fishing, but chances are , that was gar. CATKING

9. Have you guys seen Grumpy Old Men? Ya know the fish that they chased for years and no one could catch. Maybe Stampede's mystery fish is East Fork's version of that fish. Could be the beginning of a new local legend. :D

10. and we shall call him GARy (booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo)

11. Hey Guys, if you get a chance stop by Holiday Homes on state route 28 in goshen, the main sales bld. Up on the wall you will find pic's and often times mounts of gars the owner catches on huge bluegill at eastfork. If I remember correctly the largest I saw was about 8' feet long and weighed about 150 lbs. teeth looked like something outta the cretacious period (dino times) and I couldn't help wonder what that might do to a lower unit at say 50mph? You know how gar like to roll in the eve?? ha ha I think it would slice thru 50lb test like the proverbial hot knife thru butter

12. Had a rough time of it on East Fork on Saturday too. Caught a few dink crappies and just a few small channels. Pretty disappointing but it beat working :)

13. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Had no idea there were gar at eastfork. :eek: First i'd heard of it .Don't know where cloverlick bay is.From the afton ramp,i was in the creek to the right of the concrete tower,the cove a little ways in to the right.After the last no hook on the line,i got into my box and rigged a 50# steel leader but didn't get another bite.But I'LL BE BACK!! No fish does that to me and gets away with it. :mad:By the way ,had some cat action from around 7:00 till 11:00.Nothin to brag about but eatin size.

14. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Where is cloverlick bay. :confused: