Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place in Northeastern Ohio for catfish in the fall?

I'm going to Berlin this weekend, and hoping to do good there.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Check out the "Catfish Discussion" forum right here at OGF.

Not a cat guy....but the Ohio River and the mouth of rivers/creeks feeding Lake Erie would be my picks for big cats.

Good luck...be safe out there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you are near the Akron area, I would recommend heading to either Portage Lakes or Nimisila. Berlin has a lot of cats, but you aren't likely to get anything over 7-8 lbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm about an hour away from Akron. The closes places for me are Berlin, Milton, Mosquito, and Highlandtown. Have you ever tried any of those places?

I went to Mosquito about a month ago, but didn't have any luck at all.

·
Pole in hand
2 turn tables and a microphone.
264 Posts
Keep trying Mosquito if its close to you they are always pulling bigs one out from by the brige on the causeway..

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep trying Mosquito if its close to you they are always pulling bigs one out from by the brige on the causeway..

Good luck!
Ok thanks. I was only there once this year, but didn't get any catfish, just a bluegill and a crappie. I'll have to give it another try.

·
Pole in hand
264 Posts
Ok thanks. I was only there once this year, but didn't get any catfish, just a bluegill and a crappie. I'll have to give it another try.
Try fishing with a live bluegill or Crappie i have heard both produce some nice flatties..

Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ya, I would definitely choose Mosquito over Berlin. But if you do go to berlin, stop in at A/C Fish and Game and see if they got any frozen shad or live creek chubs. Those are 2 of my favorite baits and last time I was at A/C they had both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try fishing with a live bluegill or Crappie i have heard both produce some nice flatties..

Good luck!
I tried that last time with the ones I caught, and had a couple nice bites, but didn't bring anything in. I cut them up to use as bait. Should I have just used them live?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, I would definitely choose Mosquito over Berlin. But if you do go to berlin, stop in at A/C Fish and Game and see if they got any frozen shad or live creek chubs. Those are 2 of my favorite baits and last time I was at A/C they had both.
I read that crayfish is good catfish bait for this time of the year. Have you ever heard anything about that?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've used crayfish before but never even had a bite. Some people say they work good but I would stick with what you know works. For me that's cut shad and any kind of small live fish like a blue gill, creek chub, goldfish, or even crappie or perch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have never used crayfish before..but it makes sense due to the fact that its a food source for them...shrimp work really well...whole raw ones.... which is another reason that it would make sense for crayfish to work...yes they are different animals but they both have that "shell fish" sent to them...bluegill are a great bait...and if you dont have one small enough to use live...try using the head or cut parts with all the good stuff ( guts and blood)

·
Pole in hand
264 Posts
I tried that last time with the ones I caught, and had a couple nice bites, but didn't bring anything in. I cut them up to use as bait. Should I have just used them live?
I would try both 1 pole out with Cut and one out with live.. both should produce. I have heard that crayfish is good to use around the rock that line the banks..never tried it myself have always used cut or live bait.

Try Shrimp or livers or Beef spleen to.

I take it all with me then see what they are biting on for the day. Trial an error.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My favorite is live perch, but cats will eat anything. ive caught them on pickles, bubble gum, cantaloupe, hot dog, pepperoni. think of somthing and give it a try, you might find your "magic" bait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried a new type of bait this year that has worked great so far. It's called "Danny King's Catfish Punch Bait". It recommends using a #4 treble hook. The stuff is very sticky and full of fibers that make it stay to the hook very well. It has a very strong smell too! I found it at Dick's Sporting Goods, but it's probably sold in other stores as well. I think it was $5 for a good amount of bait. It probably lasts about 3 fishing trips (with 2 people). It's definitely worth a try for anyone who hasn't used it. Here's the website: Danny King's Catfish Punch Bait

·
Registered
97 Posts
My favorite is live perch, but cats will eat anything. ive caught them on pickles, bubble gum, cantaloupe, hot dog, pepperoni. think of somthing and give it a try, you might find your "magic" bait.

The cheapest, greasiest hot dogs have always produced for me. Never tried a pickle but that's pretty funny.

·
Kitty Katcher
93 Posts
If you have a small boat, Punderson State Park is one of the best kept secrets for channel cats. The problem is though, that you almost HAVE to have a boat to catch anything and the lake is electrics only. ODNR stocks in 5000 young channels every odd numbered year and has been doing so for quite some time. There are really only about 1-2 dozen people who fish there regularly for cats, so there are a ton of them and some real pigs in there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have a small boat, Punderson State Park is one of the best kept secrets for channel cats. The problem is though, that you almost HAVE to have a boat to catch anything and the lake is electrics only. ODNR stocks in 5000 young channels every odd numbered year and has been doing so for quite some time. There are really only about 1-2 dozen people who fish there regularly for cats, so there are a ton of them and some real pigs in there.
Where would be a good spot to concentrate on?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was at Punderson on Monday and Tuesday this week and caught some very nice Channels. Was floating a minnow right in front of the Lilly pads on the right side just after you leave the docks. Average size was about 2lbs but did have a couple that was closer to 4. Had one that broke the line but because of where it broke the line must have been nicked I lost pinch weight and hook. Got a couple of cranks on him and he felt good sized as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nimi and Moggy have always been faithful to me for nice channels, I always use raw shrimp with shell on and if you can find them with the legs still on thats even better, I get mine at Giant Eagle meat counter (fresh not frozen), its a little pricey but has always been good to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts