close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

catfishing boat

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Pikemandu, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I have been trying to find info on what would be a good catfishing boat and have not found anything. I am thinking about something that can handle the ohio river(since that is where i will prolly fish the most due to distance) and maybe some water slightly bigger since i have family who live within walking distance of sandusky bay. Any tips on what style of boat, and what features to look for? I was possibly thinking about hitting the us cats tourneys since about half are in this area. Any advice would be helpfull.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think OGF Mbrs like MR FISHOHIO & DOC as well as TRUCK, & others may help you. Try shooting them a PM.

3. In recent years I have seen some really really nice jon boats that are A++ Catfishing Boats....About a 16 ft Lake jon is about perfect...Because they are extra wide...They are very nice boats...And you dont have to worry about makeing them a mess as you would witha bass boat or something of that sort...
    If you search a Marina website of some kind im sure you can find a boat like im talking about...And they are cheaper than the real fancy ones too...They would be good for the ohio River or anywhere for that matter...

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm not sure I'd want to take a jon like that on big water though. (Ohio & Sand Bay), but I agree some larger Jon's seem to work great as cat set ups.

5. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish A catfish in human form

You should check out a Carolina Skiff.These boats are very stable and have a center console and nice flat walking area.Thay will also handle big water since they are made for fishing the flat's.Just a suggestion ,since this is what I would like to buy.

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

The boat I sold was great for catfishing, stripers, walleyes, etc. I had always wanted a center console because it keeps you out of the way of the splashes, and in the winter that's important. If I was looking again, specifically for cats, I'd have to consider a tri-hull boat. One just sold in the OGF Marketplace that could've been converted into a mean-fishin' machine. I think it was listed under Nice boat, Nice Price and it was. http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31913
    [​IMG]
    You make storage area out of the front seats, cut them open, put on a hatch lid with vinyl cover. Add some lights, big rod holder bar on the back. I'd pull out those seats, change the carpet to a boat vinyl sheet flooring and wrap it up the sides 6-8" so you can hose it out while keeping the wood under it dry.
    Add two swivel seats for the driver & passenger, an nice bimini top or even better an tent top that attached to the windshield in the event of a really bad rain. I never really got caught in too bad of a rain my bimini didn't work okay. In the front, you make an anchor box built in, lots of cleats(grabbers) to put the ropes where you need them. I have a plan in my head for an inexpensive boat. Only there's no such thing...a boat is a hole in the water you just keep throwing money into.
    I think I want to more/less build it almost from scratch myself. I'd have an extra blidge pump, docking lights, maybe weld a step onto the trailer with a grab rail to make it easy to get in & out of. Those tri-hulls are way up there. ;) I'd want a flow thru bait tank too. About 20 gallons with a good (home made)filter and fresh water intake.