Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
goin to be catfishin at the dam on saturday night...if anyone has some good advice about any spots let me know. i'll let ya know what happens if i get anything or not. been readin some really wierd recipes for catfish baits and such. people must be drunk when they make em up...lol

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
goin to be catfishin at the dam on saturday night...if anyone has some good advice about any spots let me know. i'll let ya know what happens if i get anything or not. been readin some really wierd recipes for catfish baits and such. people must be drunk when they make em up...lol

Might want to rethink fishing below Oshay, as the Scioto is shooting sky high http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv/?site_no=03221000

While im not all to familiar with Oshay, I can def. say that fishing is going to be real difficult with the river up and running. I would try hitting the mill creek delta area (north of O'shay), or fishing the east side of Griggs down by the frisbee golf course...Try using fresh cutbait or live bluegill under a slip float.

·
COCC- Director
313 Posts
Im goning out tonight to catfish the Scioto but I agree with Acklac, below the dam is really rough right now! Ill be heading north of Oshay dam near twin lakes, with creeks flowing in strong it should move the cats in to feed from minnows being washed into the river (hopefully the temp drop doesnt slow em down). I again would recomend some type of cutbait or live fish, although from what ive seen of the river today a bobber would be a PITA ill be fishing bottom. Also if you do find a spot with alot of current try using 1 pole only and holding it so you can tell whats a hit and not debris(leaves and such). Hope this helps Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Two spot to try:

*FORGET THE DAM* --- even with regular water level you'd be hard pressed not to snag up every rig.

Continue up along the east side of O'Shaughnessy past the Home Rd. bridge. You'll come to a park area, they are labelled by letter, but I can't remember what letter this particular spot is, just look for the point where the row of power lines go over the river. You can fish along the north side of the point and cast up river or walk down to the far south point and there is a slack water area, which should be good with higher water.

OR

Continue about 1/4 mile up the river and you'll see a church/cemetary. Almost directly across it(a little south) is a pull off area to fish from. This is where I normally go when the weather starts to warm up a bit.

If you can get fresh shad, it would be your best bet. Liver might work as well. When fish this spot, if possible and no one else is there already, fish the furthest north pull off spot in this area. There is room for about three cars, you want to be the spot closest to the church. Reason is that the spots further down stream have a big brushy area in front of them, with the water high you might not be able to see it and loose a few rigs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts