Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,615 Posts
Don't fish Erie for cats, but if I did, creek chubs would be high on my list. Then you would have a chance at more species of fish. But if you want cats only, cut shad and nightcrawlers. THE CATKING !!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I fish for Erie cats 5 or 6 times a year, and almost always do real well. I fish them in PC, but you can catch them all over. Just use nightcrawlers or shrimp. You'll catch more species with the crawlers, but you probably don't want them(sheephead, gobies, white perch, etc.). Night is MUCH better than day, but you can still catch a few in the daytime. Just get there about an hour before sunset, and hang on! My biggest is 7 pounds, but I've seen them a little over 20!
Good luck!
LaDo

·
Registered
262 Posts
In Erie, I would say Sandusky Bay would be your best bet,although I usually fish the Port Clinton pier, on the river part, but if your talking the whole state, it would probably be some of the southern ohio rivers. I'm not an expert by any means, though, you'd probably want to talk to someone from down there like the Catking.
LaDo

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was fishing a marina on Middlebass just for the heck of it and caught a bronze/gold catfish(I know the difference between carp and catfish) can anyone tell me what kind of catfish and do they often acheive this color?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts