close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catfish world record 646lbs and 8.9ft link inside

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by crappielooker, Jun 30, 2005.

1. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

this record catfish was netted in the mekong river, weighs in at 646lbs.. didn't survive and was eaten by folks in a small village.. :( sad indeed..
    [​IMG]
    more story here.. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8404622/

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Wow...that is one big catfish !!

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Looks Like one I lost this year, I guess they know nothing about conservation either.

4. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

This fish was caught while netting fish for food. I can't really fault them for eating it. I would rather have it eaten then for it to die in transport like the big blue the other day. That is more of a waste to try to put it in a zoo and it dies for nothing.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

The goverment , WWF & National Geographic made a deal for this fish, but it then died, so they went ahead & gave it back to the village folks. I am sort of glad they ate this one versus having it die & go to waste. Still would rather see it alive, but I guess for them it's an eat or die kind of thing. :confused:

6. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I would've love to catch that thing on an ultralight. LOL Seriously, can you imagine pulling that thing on a rod and reel? That would be a fight of a lifetime. It would probably subdue my fishing wants for a year but I highly doubt it. :)

7. Thailand has only been keeping records on fish since 1981. The species has also seen an 80% decline since about that time too. Chance are significant that much larger fish were caught for years and years before that.

This species of catfish also gets hybridized with several aquarium trade fishes quite often, such as the irridescent shark.

8. soua0363

Does anyone know what type or classification of catfish this cat is?

9. Maybe a blue?? But It could be a hybrid of some kind maybe...Thats kind of a tough question but I was thinking the same thing...

Good Question! :B

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Yea, I'm with M.Magis, I dont think its its own specics right?

11. From what I understand, Its some kind of hybrid species or something like that...I dunno though...

12. No, it's a Mekong catfish.

13. soua0363

Let's all make a trip to Thailand and Laos for some catfishing. I so wish. Actually, my parents are originally from Laos and had to swim across the Mekong River to be free from Communism after the Vietnam War.

14. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i have actually been right at the border once when i was about 10.. my grandfather and myself went to stay in a temple in the middle of nowhere along the mekong river.. at night we would see flashes of bright lights from the bombs that was going off across the border..i still remember that today.. :eek: that water was like red mud looking and just huuge.. i also remember the mosquitoes there.. they were green and it bit thru my jeans, mean little sucker.. :p i know i would love to go back and hit it hard for some monsters..