Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess from all the other reports out there, the catfish are spawning and thats probably why nobody has been catching anything worthwhile. just wondering, how long does the spawn last? around what month will it pickup again?

·
1,319 Posts
How long the spawn will last varies on water level, temperature, and not to mention that all of the catfish don't spawn at the same time. Fishing will probably not pick up again for another week or two.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. i guess ill take a 2 week break from the maumee and hit up some of these other spots everyone is talking about.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Found catfishing to be very good in the riffles below Weirs Rapids this morning. I caught five in the five-to-seven pound range -- fat, healthy and full of fight. This is lively sport in a kayak. Probably the cats will hit just about anything, but my favorite bait (while they last) is big dead shiners saved from spring jigging for walleye, drifting down the riffle about two feet below a big bobber.

Jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Weirs Rapids is a great place to catch some cats. We used to go down there in the summer with some old shorts and shoes and just walk out. We used bobbers and worms.:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Weirs Rapids is a great place to catch some cats. We used to go down there in the summer with some old shorts and shoes and just walk out. We used bobbers and worms.:)
Wading is popular at Weirs, but if you are new to the area be aware that below the main rapids are a couple of major-league holes ... ten feet plus.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts