Ohio Game Fishing banner

Catfish Help?! Im desperate!

2K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Huntinbull 
#1 ·
I need help finding a really good,consistent spot for channel cats. Me and my buddy have tried what seems like everywhere and have only caught annoying bullheads. Im desperate. Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

#8 ·
sandusky bay....i've always done well there..shouldn't be to far of a drive

#11 · (Edited)
Me and my buddies are going to hit up the sandusky bay this weekend. I would try berlin but thats just way too far lol. Anyone know what the magic bait is in the bay??
Don't know if you're looking for food fish but I, personally, would not eat a catfish out of Erie. I think the fishing regs caution against it also. But if you are anywhere near Mogadore Reservoir, that may be one of the finest channel cat fishing holes, and best kept secrets, in NE Ohio! In five years, Wft. Lake will be a great fishery for channel cats(Think the park closes at 11 PM!) as the state is stocking them semi-annually in fingerling sizes. Shrimp, chicken livers, and bluegill pieces are some of the best catfish baits anywhere.

#14 ·
Don't know if you're looking for food fish but I, personally, would not eat a catfish out of Erie. I think the fishing regs caution against it also. But if you are anywhere near Mogadore Reservoir, that may be one of the finest channel cat fishing holes, and best kept secrets, in NE Ohio! In five years, Wft. Lake will be a great fishery for channel cats(Think the park closes at 11 PM!) as the state is stocking them semi-annually in fingerling sizes. Shrimp, chicken livers, and bluegill pieces are some of the best catfish baits anywhere.
I NEVER eat ANY fish lol, catch and release everything. I would love to try mogie out. Its about an hour and 15 minutes away from me but from the sounds of it well worth the trip

#16 ·
mogadore is THE WORST with bull heads! probably only 1 out of 20 fish is a channel, if your using night crawlers... so use livers or shrimp by the old campgrounds close to the dam... the passed 3 trips we fished the dock by the ramp by 43, and we havent caught any channels

#17 ·
mogadore is THE WORST with bull heads! probably only 1 out of 20 fish is a channel, if your using night crawlers... so use livers or shrimp by the old campgrounds close to the dam... the passed 3 trips we fished the dock by the ramp by 43, and we havent caught any channels
Its tough now to use just crawlers anywhere lately.....bullheads every time. Cut bait(crappie heads from previous trip) got me 2 medium channels on East. I don't know if any have moved close at Erie yet, but last year there were some big channels being caught off edgewater park and the other peirs. Or maybe try the Vermillion area, its close to you and you are bound to get someting nice there. Some big drum in there if you are looking to hear your drag go and not worried about eating.

#18 ·
Try Walleye fishing at Berlin:D. I have picked up more cats this year pounding the banks for eyes then ever before. Didn't matter if i was hitting the willows,rock,sand or clay bottom those suckers are finding me this year. Got a few VERY nice channels last week.
Man Mike, its so funny you said that. I was fishing last night and told my fishing partner that I need to learn how to cook channel cats because we boat so many of the damn things and for us its always a pain because they slime all over my nice boat bend the trebles on by big o's and are just generally not welcome when I am walleye fishing. The funny thing is that if I went out and targeted channels I would not catch them. I will give you a spot for channels if you go to zone five which is down towards 225 on there is a bay with rocks on the shore and pontoons docked called DR. Roaches when you see awesome marks on your graph that look like they should be walleye stop and jig like you would for walleye and you will have yourself a mess of beautiful channels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.