close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catfish go mainstream

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by flathunter, Aug 13, 2005.

1. About time. Cats are the best!

2. it may be good - better protection and regulations and stocking and bad - higher pressure

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Maybe people might want to send that article to OH DNR and also KY's DNR....

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Really I think it may be a bad thing, the more people that fish for cats, the more cats you need..Such as to fill paylakes, and every trophy catfish kept is one lost..I first started fishing for flatheads back in the early 80's, hardly anybody fished for them back then, now it's the in thing to do..I dont think the fishery can stand the constant beating it takes from to many catfish anglers unless laws are put in place...I think catfish tournys also bring alot of attention to the sport that is not needed..We have to many catfishermen.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's partially true.most everyone fished for them years ago.at least where they were found in any numbers.
    cats have been one of my favorites since i started fishing in the 50's.in fact when i was growing up,i didn't know anyone who didn't fish for cats.
    with the growth in population,there's bound to definitely be more fishermen.
    i think nowadays and over the last generation or so,a lot of people also have more free time,and have joined the fishing ranks more for pure sport and recreation,than years ago,when it was more like a way of life,with the added benefit/enjoyment of putting some food on the table that one harvested themselves.
    in those days there were no red lobster,long john silver and other restaurants,big seafood departments at grocery stores,etc,making it cheap and/or easy to obtain fresh fish.
    that's one of the reasons we see more staunch c&r advocates today,than 50 years ago,although there were many then,so it's not a new concept.again that is due in part to population growth.