close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catfish Equipment Help..

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by OhioAngler1, Sep 3, 2005.

1. OhioAngler1

OhioAngler1 Ohio Angler

Hey guys.. Im going to the Ohio River to catch some of those big Ohio Cats, and I usually just use my bass rods for cats around her.. But Up there I want bigger.. But, Im told I dont need anything fancy to muscle these big guys in.. just something strong.. And Wal Mart has a Shakespeare Bigwater 7060 for 30 dollars.. Its a thick 7 ft, 2 piece tubular glass rod in Med/Hea action, stainless steel hoods and guides, with a big 2 ball bearing reel...And I was going to line with 50LB test Spider Wire Stealth line... I was going to buy 2 of them today.. so PLEASE HELP lol.. I dont want to take my G-loomis, or My new St Croixs and snap them lol.. Please help... Tight Lines to ALL...

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I sure wouldnt, but thats just me. Are you needing reels & rods? I think it's hard to beat an Abu 6500 or 6000 & a Quantum Big Cat. Also though, its hard to justify spending more $ if your just going to target the fish one time. OHIOANGLER, your in luck actually. Since you live in New Carlise, why dont you go to Crawdaddys. I'm sure if you tell them here is $100 get me set up w/ 2 outfits they will do it. If that doesnt work, go talk to Chris @ Fishermans's Qtrs on Keowee St. You can defiently get set up real well there. If I was in town I'd go help ya, but I'm down in SE Ohio this weekend.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Ohio

Is that spin or casting, boat or from shore?

<><Baitkiller><>

4. OhioAngler1

OhioAngler1 Ohio Angler

Well I went to Crawdaddys, and ended up getting a 7 1/2 ft heavy action Fat Cat rod, and an 8 ft heavy action rod. Now they have 20 LB test on them, but Im going to put 65LB power pro on them... They are spinning reels. but, Im rigging them up with 6/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks... Would this be sufficient... I usually catch 20LBers on my 6'6 med/hea bass rods.. so Id imagine I could get a 60 pounder in on these setups.?

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Please make sure you want the powe rpro on. I had it on one of mine, then took it right off. The knots slipped plus that stuff gets tore up in the rocks like you wouldnt beleive. If you want to try thos eout on the GMR give us a shout.

6. I think every cat guy will disagree with me but I like using pretty light rods. 7’ medium light – cheap shimano spin reels & 20lb fireline with circles. I have a heavy set of cat rods also but they are not nearly as fun to land a fish on, and the stiffness of the rod seems to impair the hook-ups with the circles.

If the cats rod don't work out try a couple of those bass rods.