Catfish around Dayton?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by HookUpFishOn, Aug 11, 2008.

1. I haven't fished the rivers around Dayton too much for cats, so I was wondering if anyone had a couple suggestions as to where to start near Dayton. I'm looking for public spots that are relatively easy to access, legal to be there after dark, and relatively safe. I know, lots of specifics, but if anyone could help I'd be greatful. I took my brother in law up to lake Loramie saturday and he caught a small channel, and I think he's hooked, but I don't know where to take him. I really don't like paylakes, so I figured the rivers would be best.

Thanks Again,
    Dan

2. Well, a good place to start is to check the ODNR website, or even the Metroparks page, because if you just want to get into channels Possum Creek is a great place, especially for someone who's just getting started, the only drawback about that place is that the park is only open 'till 2 I believe, and that's only on the weekends, but if you get out there before dark you should get into a nice bite just as the sun sets, and just before the park closes, that is if things haven't changed since I last went, because it's been a while. I'd recommend chicken liver, cut bait, hot dogs, or if your not having much luck I usually did good with a worm on a float. Hope that helps you some.

-Randy