Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but... I'm new to catching snappers and need some advice. I've been setting lines out at a private pond using mason rope, steel leader, and circle hook with cut blue gill. I caught a 50lber (not exaggerating) this way on the last day of the season april 30th. The passed two times, I've been going to the pond to check lines to find that the steel leader has been severed to shreds! I was wondering what yall use that has worked. ANY information/tips are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'm no expert, so this advice is probably worth what you're paying. ;)
But, I'd lose the steel leader and tie directly to the hook. The steel leader is your weak link. I'd also use a standard hook, not a circle. I'm a little surprised you were able to hook them with a circle hook, the way their mouths are shaped it doesn't seem like it would work well.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I agree with Magis, lose the leader. Not sure of the of the mason rope, I always use 150 or 200# dacron without a leader & a normal hook. Are you using jugs or tying off to something non-movable ?? I little give will help wear them out.
50 pounder, I want to see pix !!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You're onto a big snapper. He is twisting the line when hooked. You need a swivel in your line. Maybe even a spring to absorb shock in the line. Not a fishing swivel, more like a steel cable swivel. Or a dog chain swivel. Look up trapping snares. Those are the kind of swivel you need.

Or you could switch to jugs. But you get a lot of catfish that way.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. please keep it comin'. I am tying off to a fixed object (tree root). I'm going to use a thicker chord but it was still harder to cut the leader opposed to the thicker chord. I know I'm dealing with a giant, possibly bigger than the last one. I'll ditch the circle hooks, maybe I got lucky with the first and only one I got. I'll get a pic up ASAP for yall :D. I'll keep yuh posted how the new set up goes. Jugs are out of the question though, I can't get a boat in there and it's a decently sized pond with some houses around it so I'm confined to a small, but good area. Thanks!

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,081 Posts
that turtle is making a fool of you:p :D get some old steak meat, a 4/0 octopus hook and some 1000 pound test nylon line from the hardware store, usually white, but ive found gold too. its about the thickness of a pencil lead. I like the braided 1500 pound test, but you might have a hard time finding it. to get it thru the hook eye just hit the end with a lighter until the line starts to burn, now slobber on your pointy finger and thumb with a lot of spit and blow out the fire on the line, then quickly grab the end of the line and twist and pull fast, do it a few times fast to get a small point. it'll make a small point that'll go right thru a 4/o hook eye.don't use jugs, just tie off to a small tree and check the lines about every 8 to 10 hours.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
ezbite is right on the line, I was thinking about my bowfishing line when I put 150-200# (old man brain fart). We use I believe it's 800# nylon that I've had for a long time & he's spot on about how to thread the eye. Dad could do it in about a second, it takes me a little longer.
I also agree with the swivel in line and a spring since you're tying off to a solid object...... set up like a coyote snare. The spring & swivel both are going to have to be heavy duty though, none of that light stuff. I'd suggest snare swivels & springs ; look up the "PDK snares" in Newark or "The Snare Shop" for those supplies if you decide to go that route.
That's a big snapper in the pic & some great eating !!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The passed two times, I've been going to the pond to check lines to find that the steel leader has been severed to shreds! I was wondering what yall use that has worked. ANY information/tips are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You are obvously dealing with the greater elusive white snapper.

The only way to deal with such a beast is to drag this thread on until the pond freezes and never speak about it again !

There i said it :D

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try attaching to a more flexible limb or branch. Something that has a bit of give when the turtle pulls on the line. I am thinking the turtles are breaking you off at the knot because there is nothing to absorb the shock. I use standard straight shank hook heavy wire hooks.
They aren't breaking me off at the knot, they/it is biting through the steel leader. Passed two times I've found it in shreds. I went and got some heavy duty swivels and heavy braided line with some big straight shank saltwater hooks. Ol' boy at walmart said he's been catchin snappers down south for a long time and never uses springs or anything but I'm gonna try anyways. Came up empty last night, but something robbed my bait. Must of been little guys picking at it. We shall see what tonight has in store...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.