close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

catching minnows

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jimnrg, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I'm having trouble getting shiners or other minnows other than the tiny bass minnows at a bait shop near me. What is the best way to catch them(Trap, net, hook, hands, poison darts or dynamite)? Can you use a trap or net in Ohio without a bait dealers permit? where in Troy/Tipp/Piqua would I go to catch them?

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Get some creek chubs, catch'em by hook and line.

3. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i gotta agree with fishman get some tiny hooks and some wax worms and go to town. i pull them out of the water real quick once there on because they get off easy.

4. thanks. I guess a #36 hook would do but should I use a piece of crawler, bread or what?

5. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

USE WAX WORMS

6. lol...looks like we posted at the same time, fishymcgoo

7. Just get a 4x4 seine and tie it to a couple of dowel rods. Find a small creek and just seine what you need. Unless you need the bigger chubs, then catch them like everyone else said.

8. I catch creek chubs with wax worms as well. They are a real good bait. Make sure whatever you put them in though has a lid, because they jump. I use a #8 hook and works well for me. I also have one of those minnow traps that works really well, however don't leave it overnight. The last 2 times I left it overnight I had snakes in them. A minnow seine would work well also.