catching minnows

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jimnrg, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I'm having trouble getting shiners or other minnows other than the tiny bass minnows at a bait shop near me. What is the best way to catch them(Trap, net, hook, hands, poison darts or dynamite)? Can you use a trap or net in Ohio without a bait dealers permit? where in Troy/Tipp/Piqua would I go to catch them?

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Get some creek chubs, catch'em by hook and line.

3. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i gotta agree with fishman get some tiny hooks and some wax worms and go to town. i pull them out of the water real quick once there on because they get off easy.

4. thanks. I guess a #36 hook would do but should I use a piece of crawler, bread or what?

5. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

USE WAX WORMS

6. lol...looks like we posted at the same time, fishymcgoo

7. Just get a 4x4 seine and tie it to a couple of dowel rods. Find a small creek and just seine what you need. Unless you need the bigger chubs, then catch them like everyone else said.

8. I catch creek chubs with wax worms as well. They are a real good bait. Make sure whatever you put them in though has a lid, because they jump. I use a #8 hook and works well for me. I also have one of those minnow traps that works really well, however don't leave it overnight. The last 2 times I left it overnight I had snakes in them. A minnow seine would work well also.