close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catch and release

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rod&Reel, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I would just like to say it is good to see so many other C&R fisherman around here. I just wanted to start this thread to ask......Are you a C&R fisherman or not? Please let me know. Thanks.

2. Catch and release all the way that's the only way we are going to get :B . I always hate seeing people keep little crappies and little bluegills never understood the use in it, if you let them grow up you only have to keep a few instead of 50.

3. Depends on the species. I think it's just as important to keep some of certain fish as it is to release some others.

4. Please explain. I mean mother nature has done fine for millions of years without us helping by keeping some fish while releasing others. Whats your theory on this?

5. All species will be healthiest when the population is at or below the maximum carrying capacity of the land/water. Many waters lack the natural predators needed to keep populations in check.

6. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

i keep some fish. mostly panfish. i almost always C&R bass/catfish/any other fish unlesss i gut hook em. rod & reel, i think M. Magis may be referring to nussiance species, such as white perch, and gobies(are they even cosidered a fish?)

7. TexasPete

TexasPete Fishin' Fool

R&R,

When it comes to the science of aquatic ecology, population dynamics is a very researched topic. Personally, I keep only 10"+ crappie and bluegill, and 15-16"+ catfish for personal consumption. Some say that fish that are caught and fought with have a high stress which shortens their lifespan or possibly kills them soon after being released. I have seen Largemouth bass caught several times in the same season, and once even a year after. In private ponds, sometimes a particular species population can go unchecked and must be thinned out. The size and number that should be harvested are also a science. It is usually for the health of the pond in the future that some fish must be removed. Large reservoirs are usually pretty good at reaching an equilibrium for fish because of the expanse of habitat. On large bodies of water, even though we have tools to catch them, man can be considered a natural predator. The only time we overharvest is when we use dredge or net methods primarily. River populations are much more sensitive to overfishing and if we wish to have hard-fighting lunkers in our streams and rivers, we should make it a point to catch and release desired sportfish. There are many species in the same body of water that compete, so thinning out one species by selective harvesting may result in overpopulation of the next. Just release our Ohio smallmouth! They size up very slowly over the course of a decade and must be kept around so the younger generations may enjoy them...

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

ALL catfish are catch and release for me.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

FYI: Jack doesnt do much of either. (Catching/Releasing) :D

C&R for me too, unless a friend wants some fish & they cant be Cats. Shoot I'm the one that wanted to throw the Walleyes back in Lake Erie! :)

10. Banker

Banker Banned

I average getting out fishing about 4 times a week. So far this year I have cooked up 1 meal for myself (1 saugeye about 18", 1 eye that swallowed the hook and was about 7", and about 4 crappie). It fed me that night and I ate the big eye the following day (nuked it - I learned eat the big eye first next time- it was excellent nuked, but that was the best tasting one of the bunch). I will probably cook up one more meal this year with my brother. Possibly 2 but doubtful. It is also quite possible that I'm done for the year.

I don't mind the time it takes to clean the fish or cleaning the fish but I hate cleaning up all the oil spatter, the fish guts, etc,etc. I love the way it tastes though. Hitting up wendy's for 2 junior bacon cheeseburgers serves me just fine. I'm one of those people that looks at eating as a hassle. Yes I can sometimes love the way foods taste but if I could take a pill (and have the time I would spend eating to do other stuff like fish) and be full I would.

11. i release everything but a few white bass during the run. just enough for friends to eat.

12. 100% catch an release for me. if i want fish for supper i buy it from the store.

13. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

I C&R everything I catch. Though recently I have been more and more into cooking and think that one day I may eat something I catch, for now it's just as easy to go to the grocery store or butcher. Plus I'm pretty big into conservation.

14. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I think the majority of the members of this site, practice conservation when it come to our fish population..Be it catch and release, or selective harvest..It's the people who just dont care, and keep everything big or small who are the danger...Plus the netters!

15. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

i eat crappie. minimum length is 11". all else is c/r. ;)

16. For the most part I practice c&r but once every blue moon I might keep some. Bass alwas go back though.

17. We are 100% catch and release.

18. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

The Please Explain.... ;)
    First of all, I'm mostly catch & release, I haven't kept a fish in several years, got nothing against keeping a few, I just don't like to bother with them. I decided then that unless I was going to eat them, I wasn't gong to keep any for anyone else. Okay, here's my explaination.
    In the state of Ohio I think there's only one or maybe 2 lakes that are natural, Erie and then I think there may be one more. All the others are "man-made". Also the fish are stocked into many lakes, hybrids like saugeyes and wipers. Those fish didn't exist (wipers anyway...some saugers appear naturally, but not in the numbers artificially generated today).
    The point??mother nature has done fine for millions of years without us helping without our help, those lakes and fish wouldn't exist. ;) Sometimes selective harvest is a really good thing to keep a balance. In ponds and small lakes, the fish (LM bass, gills,panfish) can become stunted when the population is larger than the supply of food for them, again, that is a non-natural environment. One could argue the rivers then are natural. True, except we've dammed them all up so the fish no longer have their migration routes. Not to mention the poisons and other polutions we've added. Most rivers in Ohio have a fish consumption alert not to eat fish from them, or at least a limited amount.
    As I see it, most of the fishing water wasn't here in Ohio so neither were the fish.
    So, there you have it, that's my opinion. C & R is much easier for me also because I catch so many I couldn't carry them all anyway. Who want's to spend hours cleaning & eating fish? :D

19. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i mostly catch and release panfish

20. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i practice 100% c&r.
    some fish i catch,get released back into the water from which they were caught.
    others, who are not so fortunate,get released into crisco lake.