close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

catch and release additive

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Warpath, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Anyone use any of the livewell additives that promote catch and release? Can you tell me what brand names are out there and what you think of them?

Thanks, Eric

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Nipididee has some good stuff he promotes, not sure of the name though.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've never used any. I always think about trying it but never had. If it is really hot I do add ice to my live well though

4. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

"Please release me". Bass Pro Shops sells it for $5.99/ 10oz. and should be enough to last at least 5 or 6 events or you could buy 3 lbs. for $18.99 and be set for the year. Rodmakers shop sell some stuff too, but it's pretty expensive, 10oz. for $12.99 I believe. It seems to calm the fish down a little for me, but more importantly it restores the slime coat and helps heal wounds faster.

5. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

One thing to consider. If you constantly pump in fresh water you may dilute it so much that you are wasting your time. My boat doesn't have a recirc pump so this happens to me. I usually start the tourney with a 3/4 full live well with the bass pro stuff Then when I catch a fish it goes in the treated water. Out of instinct I usually flip the timer switch on and the livewell starts filling. Midway through the day i should add more but in the excitement sometimes forget. But if I have a full limit it is a good idea to add a dose before you put on trailer. This gives the fish a little time to soak up the benefits. In hot weather I have added ice too. But If I get a full limit i think the fresh water is more vital than the additive even though I use both. Fish give off ammonia and use up oxygen so it is important to add fresh water as Im sure you already know. So far I have had 100 percent survival rate. I feel handling the fish and keeping them healthy is just as important as catching them. I see too many people drop fish all over their carpet, carry fish to weigh-in in no water, fill a weigh bag with ten fish and have someone take them all to the lake all at once, throw them in, you name it. It really bugs me when i see that. I understand that your gonna drop one once in a while they are slippery little suckers. But most of the time people do a good job in getting the fish weighed and back to the water. The s/t tourneys are run very well and im not referring to your tourneys Dale, you guys would not tolerate it. Kinda got off the topic, sorry.

6. The reason I asked was specifically because I have a small livewell and if I take my boat to Erie formy club tourney I may trailer my boat to and fro Sandusky Bay. Last year I fished in someone else's boat, but I'm thinking I may fish out of mine this year. If I do, and the weather gets nasty, I will be forced to fish the Bay. Not that I mind, but I might have to trailer to and from Huron. Thought an additive would help. Thanks for the info. I'll drag out the BPS master catalog. Whoa is me, huh?

Thanks, Eric

7. stop at a feed mill non iodized salt is about 7 dollers per bag last u longer than the bag around it will add small palm full to tank good to go

8. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

If its hot out it could be a problem if your wells are small. I don't know when you are going up but if you get into smallies 3lbers are common and 15lbs in a small well could be tough on the fish. A recirc pump would definately be in your favor. I had a tourney at erie once and I had 15lbs of smallies in my front livewell which is 20 gallons and my buddy had somewhere around 9 or 10 lbs in the rear well. It was sometime in may a few years ago water was still cold, so was the air. we fished in west harbor cause of my 17' sea nymph aluminum and trailered them to sandusky bay dempsy ramp with no problem. It was pretty cool that day though. Depending when you go the bay and harbors can be real hot.