catawba limit 1/27

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by swone, Jan 27, 2009.

1. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Walked out of Catawba today, about 1.2 miles north of the cliffs in 28 fow. Limited on eaters by 9 and picked at them till dark, steady bite all day. Caught about 14, lost only a couple. Number 6 pimple green sparkle and deadstick worked best all day. Afternoon fish were much bigger, several 25 to 26 inches long. Absolutely amazing day.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Sweet 2 piece ice rod! lol What happened?

3. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

I forgot to mention that. There are two things to be learned from this mistake:

1. Don't use a panfish rod to deadstick on Lake Erie, no matter how much you don't want to tie on a new rig.

2. If you are stupid enough to hook in to a 25 inch walleye with a panfish rod, don't attempt to llift it out of the water with said pole.

4. Looks like you had a good time out there was thinking of going later in the week, are you tipping your spoons or jigs with minnows. Thanks, Crappy

5. leadcorebean

leadcorebean Charter Captain

good job buddy!! i should be going back on sat if i can find someone thats wants to go..

6. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

If the fish are aggressive I put on a "chandelier" (minnow on every hook) if they are being coy I put on one minnow and try to keep it alive all the time

7. Nice catch looks like you had a great day..Wish I was there...swone ...sorry about you favorite rod taking a dive...A little duck tape and good as new...Realy glad to hear you had a good day......Jim....:B

8. Somebody out there please give me a few ice fishing pointers. Will be willing to trade bass fishing knowledge. I wanna catch some of those delicious Lake Erie walleye. Thanks a ton, Crappy.

9. Nice catch.Abuddy and I are planning a trip up there in a week or 2 can you give any pointers what to use as in gear rods,lures ect.

10. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Hey Ted: I just started going up there two years ago, so I am no expert, but I am lucky enough to have several friends that are very dedicated to the sport so I have learned a lot from them. I use two identical ugly stick 28" rods medium action. I string them with 6 lb fireline ice and use the smallest swivel I can find to attach a 30" leader of 10 lb. flourocarbon. To the end of this I attach a small duolock snap so I can change lures quickly. I use identical rods so I can jig them both at the same time and they feel the same. For lures I like to use swedish pimples, jiggin raps, jiggin shad raps(personal favorite), and vibees. I tip the lures with anywhere from 1 to 3 emerald shiner minnows which have been purchased at a local bait shop. The lure I use and the number of minnows I put on depends mostly on how the fish are reacting. When they are more aggressive I have been told to use the vibees and pimples jigged more vigorously, and when the fish are more passive it is generally thought to be better to use a slower approach with a jiggin rap or shad rap jigged more slowly or even a deadstick set up (a rod set up with a spilt shot a foot above a bare hook baited with the biggest minnow you have). I like to use a size 8 treble hook on my deadstick, most people use a single hook.

BUT ABOVE ALL ELSE: SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

It is really easy to get yourself killed up there if you are not careful. My personal rule is not to go where someone's footprints are not already standing. If you have a handheld GPS set the motion alarm to the most sensitive setting so if you start to drift you will know. Don't short cut across the pack ice because it is a shorter distance to where you want go. There are holes and weak places all over the place in there, stick to the road, it is the tried and true method. If you find yourself the only one left on the ice or the only in your area, head in!!! There is probably a reason everyone has left (such as a wind change that has opened up a crack).

Again, all this was told to me by others, I am new at this and would lilke to hear what everyone has to say to the new Erie ice fisherman.

Oh, yeah: You need to buy a vexilar!

11. Thanks for the info Swone.

12. swone do you use the dead stick method alot ? i have tried tip ups with little success thinking on making the trip up this weekend you guys sure give a lot of good info thanks for all your help and ideas on fishing.

13. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Welcome to OGF!

Yesterday was the first time I ever got anything on it. I switched to trebles and I think it helped because the fish hooked themselves. I also got a rod holder that holds the rod very upright so bites were more noticable. In the past, I would always pull up and the minnow would be gone and I wouldn't have noticed the bite. I put it in my line of vision yesterday (right in front of the vex) and it really made the difference.