close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catalpa worms

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewzer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I've been on a mission since last summer to find catalpa trees and the worms. I've found about 5 trees but there are no signs of the caterpillars this summer.
    They say hot dry weather is the best and you can find them in July but these trees at 3 different locations have no worms.
    Should I buy some and deliberately infect the trees I've found? Has anyone gathered any worms this year?

2. This is something I have wondered about for years. I had a Catalpa Tree in my yard for years when I was a kid. There were no worms on it until I was in my 20s and that was 1 year. It was loaded. Never happened again.

The place I work has about 30 Catalpas and I have worked here for 24 years...never seen the first one on any of these trees.

3. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

I have trees in my neighbors yard that usually has some on them but a little later on like late Aug. But last year a crappie fishing buddy sent me some and I put them on another tree and last month I gathered about 100 of them. Haven't been out to use them yet but hear crappie and channel cat love them.
    Tim

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

My yard is full of several dozen catalpa trees. They come and go - haven't seen any for years. It must be some kind of a life cycle???

5. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

flathead king 06 says hes been getting them from about 5 trees 4 years!

6. Are they only found in a certain type of tree?

7. I've got about 30 trees. Hence Catalpa Lane Farm. Some years they are loaded, some years very few. Great for cats, gills and crappie. I have also caught farm pond bass on them. When I was a kid we used to use a wire to turn them inside out. I don't do that any more and dosen't seem to make a difference. Usually the caterpillers show in late July thru August.

8. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

yeah found in a certain tree (catalpa tree) ca-ta-ba