close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catalpa Worms..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cat~n~Crappie, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Thought I would start a thread on hunting Catalpa Worms. Just wondering if anyone has started seeing them yet with the weather being so hot. 2 Years ago we started finding them the first week in August, last year I didnt get a chance to do any hunting for them. But I plan on looking for them this year.

I know where there are alot of trees but I have only found the worms on one of the many trees that I have stopped and looked at. Is there anything special you can can find on the trees that will produce the worms or do all the trees have the same characteristics?

Cat~n~Crappie

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i know of a few convenient catalpa trees but dont know where to look.

inside the bean pods things?

how long will they keep, is it like a waxworm?

what time of year, soon?

3. WarEagle

WarEagle FNG

I can be the first to admit that I don't have any idea. I do however know a guy who does. If you need info on Catalpa Worms, shoot Dave McCullough of www.thebaitbarn.com an email. He always has catalpas and they sell a boat load of the things.

His email address is: h2oborne@thebaitbarn.com

WAR

4. I know a little bit about them....

I know its about this time of year that they start appearing on the one and only tree that I know that has them. And I know where there are quite a few around the Lebanon area.

No they arent in the been pod, they are usually stuck on the leaves eating away... the tree I get them off of gets eating up by the worms, they really work it over.

The worms are Green in color with black stripes running down them, they are about the diameter of a pencil and I have found them a couple of inches long.

I have kept them for a couple of weeks in a tupperware container in a fridge with Catalpa leaves in the container for them to eat. My bait dealer says they get them sometimes and sell them at $4.00 a dozen.

5. Read an article a long time ago that said they were knock out pan fish bait. Seems I remember it said they are best when turned inside out... Anybody ?

6. Did some research and found this article about them... heres the link

http://bayoubill.com/archives/2005/062005column.html

I used them mostly for channel cat fishing and I have used the turn them inside out method... cut their heads off and shove a piece of a wire coat hanger through them... not for the weak stomached....

7. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

As far as keeping the worms...

I've been told that you can put them in either saw dust or cornmeal in a jar and freeze them for up to 4 months and they will still be alive when thawed. Never tried it though, I cant find any up here in Cleveland. Someone want to send me a few dozen? LOL

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

they will die and turn black if you freeze them, I have tried.

9. hardwaterfan

If i find any i will post and let you guys know.

10. hardwaterfan

i checked two trees yesterday and didnt see any.

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I found this on the net. I thought you might like to see it.

The worm can be preserved alive by placing it in cornmeal or sawdust and packing it in a glass jar and frozen indefinitely. When thawed, they become as lively as the day they were froze. This is because their metabolism slows down while eating and, therefore, freezes in its natural state. Some fishermen report that it is better to freeze them in water in lots of 25. Thawed out, they turn black and soggy, but do not seem to lose their appeal to catfish.

12. I live in the Athens/Albany area, there are tons of Catulpa trees. I have quite a few on my property, 2 in my front yard. The worms apeared a few weeks ago and only stayed around for a couple of weeks at the most. They werent as thick as last year, I think they run in some kind of yearly cycles. Last year they strip the trees clean ( I mean bare!) and started on them again after regrowth. This year hardly a hit. You can litterly hear them munching and the leaf disappearing. Interesting to see them go from an inch to 4 inches or so, and fat. I kept some in corn meal for a day for fishing. They are soft with green gooo inside. That is my observations. Oh, and I have never seen a bird eat one.