Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife is a cat person-SHE has 9!! Anyways, she is feeding a feral cat in hopes of socializing it and it appears to have a bad case of fleas. We can't touch it so to treat the fleas would require a flea killing pill we could crush up in wet food(which it devours). Anyone know of such a pill? If so, what is it called? No comments like use a .22 "lead pill", etc. please. She asked me to let her read all replys! Thx.

To repeat the original post! We have 9 cats-NO flea problems. We know ALL abt the topicals, how to use them, and do it religiously. The issue is a WILD catthat comes around at night who obviously has fleas that we cannot get near and would need a CRUSHABLE flea pill(IF it exists!) to put in it's food. Anyone know of a PILL??

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
My wife is a cat person-SHE has 9!! Anyways, she is feeding a feral cat in hopes of socializing it and it appears to have a bad case of fleas. We can't touch it so to treat the fleas would require a flea killing pill we could crush up in wet food(which it devours). Anyone know of such a pill? If so, what is it called? No comments like use a .22 "lead pill", etc. please. She asked me to let her read all replys! Thx.
the neighbor ladies cat had fleas ,they ended up taking it to the Vet ,,But the bigger problem they had to get their Whole house fogged by a exterminator,they tried all the store bought ones they did not seem to work very well,,they don't have a cat any more, Good Luck..

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We buy all that stuff you put on back of their necks and have no fleas. The feral(meaning wild) cat is, of course, living outside!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
As far as I know there is no "flea" pill , but the stuff you get from a vet . that you put on the back of their neck works really good. Where the pill comes in is that fleas are part of the life cycle of tapeworms. A cat or dog with fleas , also has worms. Fleas spread the eggs which the animal ingests. The "pill" would be for the tapeworms. The problem is , unless the animal remains indoors all the time without ever going outside , you have a perpetual cycle of fleas , eggs , worms , no matter what you do.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Be careful about that cat. A friend of mine's wife got "cat scratch fever" and almost died from a feral cat. Had to have her lymph nodes removed in one arm. Be very very careful with feral cats.

·
here kitty kitty!
466 Posts
i think if you add brewers yeast to the food every meal it may help... but you may want to ask a vet first....

but i think garlic is toxic for a cat...

i know people that put garlic and brewers yeast in with the dogs food for their dogs...

i use revolution on my dogs and for the cat ...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Frontline and Revolution are two of the treatments; the stuff that you put on the cat's back between the shoulder blades.

From what I understand, it doesn't kill fleas, but makes the female fleas sterile so they can't reproduce...

So, while it's good for keeping fleas away (I have two indoor/outdoor cats and have never had any fleas in the house) it won't kill the fleas if the cat has a serious infestation.

The problem with wild cats, as mentioned already, is that you have to be so careful about picking them up (which you would have to do to put the frontline flea prevention on it) and my bet is that unless the cat is very docile and has been domesticated previously, the cat would likely try to defend itself if you attempted to put the stuff on him... and that's where it could get dicey, because the cat has probably been living on mice, chimpunks, birds and digging around in trash to survive - you need to be very careful, because if you get scratched or bitten you could be facing possible infection.

Have you thought about using a Have A Heart trap? It's probably your safest bet to capture him without touching him to get him to the vet.

Then again, you have to ask yourself what you'll do afterwards... You need to keep up the frontline treatments every month or so, and if he is wild and ferile, you'll just be facing this same situation again in a month or so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i had this problem last summer with my cat. give it a flea bath,then by some frontline. wash all you clothes bedsheets,curtains everything in borax. vacum your house with borax and put a little borax in the litter box. and most important read the intstructions to frontline carefully. to much frontline can harm the animal

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I don't think everyone read the first post.
I think you could get it to eat a capstar pill in it's food, that would take care of everything on it now. For the future, well... a feral cat is just that, feral. I think your wife would have better luck caring for a rabid **** than a semi wild cat. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts